ESS Wisdom and Experience

Hi FileKraft

This particular system was written years ago, relatively early days for ExecuteSQL and we haven't revisited this for a long time. If things quieten down here, maybe we'll have a look, but it is so busy at the moment.

Kind regards

Andy

1 Like

I have a client who requires ESS access to a MySQL system, and we use to access around 2 dozen tables, some with over a million records in.
The most important thing I realised was that in order to get the best performance for Filemaker Clients, we needed a Filemaker Cache of the ESS hosted data. Using scheduled scripts in FMS I wrote some fairly simple sync'ing scripts, which were really just import scripts, which were as specific as possible and what data to fetch, and when to fetch it, and then I imported these fields into Filemaker native tables. All user interaction was based on these copy tables, and this not only improved performance on things like finds and summaries, but also gave us an offline copy of the data if the ESS source ever went down.
Obviously you need to be careful about working out how often you need to sync/import data, but I found this the best way to go. HTH!

2 Likes

One of the things I ran into a lot when I was using ESS a lot, is that sometimes you HAVE to use Refresh Window to get the connection to see records that changed from the other end. So when we had ESS data that was changing both from the FileMaker side, and the MySQL side, we most often had to do a refresh window to make sure the data was fresh.

2 Likes

Just a follow-up note to thank everyone who participated in this thread. Everyone's comments have been a big help, and are greatly appreciated.

Just as FYI/FWIW:

With respect to the Oracle integration mentioned in the original post:

The direction that we will be taking with this project will not utilize ESS. It will be based off of the ODBC data source option of the Import Records script step. Already this feels like a much more controlled methodology.

Many sincere thanks to all of you for sharing your insights and experiences.

-Steve

4 Likes