Favorite FileMaker ReFactors

Refactoring the #() functions when sending multiple parameters to JSON is one we continue to do when time allows.

I have thought of writing an AppleScript to be called by a macOS Service to refactor Six Fried Rice (SFR) dictionaries to JSON objects. macOS Services to help write FileMaker code

Regarding custom functions, we are designing in modular ways that enable us to lift blocks of code from one solution to another. Since While() became available, we can replace recursive CFs with this. Copying scripts from one system to another is far less likely to break should the target system not have all the CFs of the source system. I can’t remember when we last wrote a CF!

Good points.

The biggest refactoring task for us will be to replace some of the lengthy legacy TO chains; some date back to over 10 years within our CRM core. A job that currently keeps being put back to the demands of new features within our customer base.

I removed a bunch of TOs that were NOT used to display related data, replacing them with finds against a faceless logic file. Seemed to help, although I did not take the time to measure before and after.

1 Like