Should we, just because we can?

It is a bias called In-group favouritism.

1 Like

or some critical (DI) digging gets you blacklisted. Certainly don’t make friends finding bugs and expose them.

I wouldn‘t say so. But there is some sort of bias involved.

There are a few things in play.

1. I have nurtured that relationship as much as I can. I don’t always agree with decisions, but when I disagree, it’s done respectfully. Sometimes respect means not doing it in public. Same as when I disagree with my wife about something, I don’t bring that up in front of our friends and family. That’s a private discussion.

2. Having talked with several of these people in person helps. They know me well enough to know I’m not going to embarrass them, and that I will be thoughtful in my conversations with others.

3. The last 2 also lead to being added to the MVP group. One of the perks of being an MVP, at the moment, is priority support. There are guidelines and rules about how to use it, and by following those guidelines, often those support requests get in front of engineers faster. Honestly, in the few years I’ve been an MVP, I’ve only used it 2, maybe 3 times.

It’s not bias, because that implies it being unfair. I have worked for 10 years to build my relationship with Claris and the people that work there. As in any relationship, there are ways to make the relationship better, and ways to make it worse. Speaking only about me here, and I’ve worked very hard to gain trust, and give trust.

3 Likes

This is an incorrect statement. The fact is, they love when they are able to take a bug and get it fixed. Getting more feedback is the entire point of some of their programs.

Personally, I've reported many bugs to different people. Many of them, bugs that were heavily discussed in the forums. It's not even that I had to sell them on the severity of the bug, sometimes it's just timing. I take the relevant info, and ask them what they think or what I can do help get to the cause of the issue. They give me advice, or show me where I am shooting myself in the foot.

Even with all the bugs I've pointed out, and constructive criticism I've given, I've never been blacklisted.

It is bias. You just described it in your post. Besides, I tried to reach out to people in private. Guess what, the ‘send private message’ (to Claris staff) feature in their forum is deactivated for blokes like me. I will not faire antichambre. Their way of holding court is outdated and plain boring.

2 Likes

bias implies it’s unfair. I haven’t seen any actions or rules that I would consider unfair. There is some stuff I don’t like, but that is not the definition of unfair.

I’m unaware of any limitations placed on who can private message other members. So I can’t really comment on that part of it. We talk often at our MVP meetings about things that have come up on the community, and side conversations that have happened as a result.