SQL With Calculated Fields?

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. I hope your fee included the work you did in Fmp solving the SQL needed to generate your “free” solution.

Though it isn’t really free. There is hosting costs, you may need to charge by db and/or by space. Also maintainence and networking.

Probably a separate topic; one of the reasons we can no longer provide shared hosting is that the security of the shared spaces in an FMS environment is next to zero. The documents folder and tmp are accessible to users.

1 Like

Since I was initially doing "discovery" and thought FMP would be a good solution, I just charged ahead with my investigation (FMP is so much fun to work with). Unfortunately, due to the FMS costs and especially its license restrictions, that FMP discovery work was wasted.
I was able to charge for the MySQL implementation and the HTML/JS front-end development so that made up for it to some extent. No software costs there. Ever.
And, the client is now happy.
Agreed, hosting is not "really" free, but there's a server in any case, so that's a wash. And, running the server is a very, very low yearly cost. And, we almost never need to do anything with MySQL.
This is another lost sale for FMI. I hope they realize (care) how many folks like me there are out here who would love to use (pay for) their stuff, but are never able to do due to (1) High Cost, (2) License Restrictions.
Thanks for your reply.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Exploring the reasons why we can’t provide shared hosting