Exploring the reasons why we can’t provide shared hosting

Out of curiosity I just took a look at some of the websites of the commercial FileMaker hosts from the old days (FMPHost, Triple 8, Point in Space were the first names that came to mind).

Looks like some have been able to survive (and still offer shared hosting on FileMaker 16). Others have closed up shop. They have my sympathies. Without them I would have never been able to get my foot in the door with our vertical solution. No way our business would have survived our first year if we'd had to live with Claris's terms for small start ups.

Edit: actually that's probably unfair to Claris- we could have made it our first year using the SBA and their intro order of 10 users. Of course we would have had to plan what would happen if we didn't reach 50 by the next year, but I suppose all business have to make those sorts of decisions.

The application review process is fantastic. They are providing a amazing service with this process. Think of it as a free consultation with really skilled FileMaker designers. The purpose is to ensure that your app is ready for commercial production.

Does it look and behave like an app?
Is the solution full of broken or missing elements? Does it work?
If your app looks like someone dropped their breakfast on the floor you will be asked to tidy it up.

If your app wasn't ready before the review, you'll be given suggestions for change, and when you make those changes, you repeat the process.

1 Like