How to hide a field when not in focus

Sorry in advance if this is a double-post. I've spent 30m googling this with no luck.

I have a layout with limited space and users can select multiple options from a checkbox. I want to show a small summary and when users click on the summary they get the check boxes. I can think of two ways to do this:

1. Have another field that's a (global?) toggle called something like "IsCheckboxEditModeForFieldWhatever". I can hide the checkbox field when this is 0, and when users click on the summary I can set that to 1, and select the field. Then when the checkbox is saved I can set the toggle back to zero.
  2. I could use a new window with a new layout and a card, but it seems like overkill

Is there an easy way to just say "hide when the status of self = not in focus" or something?

1 Like

You can use a Button Bar with a Popover. The Button bar Name can be calculated from the option field. When you click the Button the popover opens with the option field.

2 Likes

My suggestion is close to your first way.

I see two fields here. The first is a list field. The second is a calculation field that transforms the list into comma-delimited text. The list field has a hide condition based on a global variable. An on enter script trigger in the summary field fires a script that sets the global variable and navigates to the list field. An on exit script trigger in the list field fires a script that clears the global variable.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

I typically consider the portal a read-only summary.

If the portal requires simple edits, then I reveal a form in a popover. This allows me to spread out the fields and options in a nice readable format.

If the portal edit requires some processing, I would reveal the form in a card window.

6 Likes

yeah that's what I was thinking I needed to fall back on.

That's incredible. I don't think they had such popovers last time I used Filemaker (12). Perfect solution!

2 Likes

Popovers where added in v 13.

1 Like