Interest in using JetBrain Mono font in FileMaker?

You guys may just wait for FileMaker to learn how to work in Dark Mode.

I am not a 'so big fan' of the dark mode... If one concentrates on a canvas, it's ok - but if the whole interface (menus, et all) is needed, contrast is too low. At least for my old eyes.
I joined a postman session lately and installed postman on my macbook. I had no chance to follow the course - then, I realized that all of my colleagues had not that dark-mode (activated by installation of postman). I switched to bright-mode and was happy...

1 Like

I hope this will go away soon, dark mode is only a fashion thing to me. But as long as it can be changed to get themes switched from dark to daylight it does not matter to much. Last week I was at a Linux class and first task was changing the terminal background :slight_smile:

I think it is a personal preference if whitespace in a window is white or black or any other color. A modern GUI should be able to accommodate the user's needs.

1 Like

You just reminded my how much effort I spent for FM AppleTouchBar-ATB integration. I got 1(!) customer who works with a MacBook with ATB.

1 Like

Now you know why FileMaker doesn't add TouchBar support...

didn't we tell You that this TB-thing isn't worth the effort? Didn't we?
:ghost:

1 Like

Our primary company ethos since 2002 has been that we will support software that treats Mac and Windows evenly. I must emphasise that I'm not having a go at Christian, as I'm sure he has good reasons for making the Mac version of MBS more capable than Windows, but it remains a factor in our selection of software.

During our early days when we also offered IT services alongside FileMaker development, we would only use backup systems, email systems, database systems, etc. that were truly cross-platform. The concept of designing not for a particular OS, but for a particular model from a particular vendor remains completely alien to us.

Regards
Andy

1 Like

3698 functions of our 6100 functions support MacOS and Windows.
But a lot of things are platform specific.

2 Likes

I dont use dark mode or even dark themes on code editors. But I use touch bar with FileMaker. Very handy.

You guys tried 10.1pr1 with the new preference?

Yes, Yesterday evening. Looks good! Unfortunately, I'm on Windows OS half of the time...

You mentioned that Claris will do that for Windows? When?
:crazy_face:

Well, let's hope for some surprises in the 19 release for May.
And then for quarterly new things start to arrive with the agile approach.

AFAIK, there is only 'dark mode' in the pipeline - would be so cool if there are some things like that ahead..

Researching dark mode and possible battery life savings...

The hardware explanation for the sudden uptick in dark interfaces is that newer OLED screens light up differently than traditional LCD screens.

dark mode will not save you any battery power if you’re using an LCD screen.

Good to know.

Just to jump on the dark mode bandwagon, I've found it mostly useful as a reminder about whether I'm on a personal device (all dark mode) or a work device (all light mode).

I just tried 10.1pr3 and this is awesome! Here are a few questions:

• in the script workspace, some steps with text elements see the quoted text shown with the default font (for example perform script, the name of the script appears with the default font, while go to layout seems to format the layout name with the custom font). Is this because the OS uses different controls/objects to display some of that information, resulting in a limitation to what the custom font can be applied to?)
  • any chance the custom font could be used in other areas? (dialog windows like the set variable, pick lists for layouts/fields/scripts, the relationship graph). I'm pretty sure there are a number of things that are off limits, but I'm trying to understand what determines where the boundaries are.
  • I did not play much with the calculation dialog, but it seems to display fine

Did I mentioned how awesome this is? Thank you so much @MonkeybreadSoftware !!!

By the way, I chose to try 'Input Mono' as my custom font. I am curious to know what favorite font others have for something like this (or terminal/command line customization).

2 Likes

So it seems the text renders differently in the script workspace and in the script debugger. The script debugger does use the custom font, even more than the script workspace: the perform script script step uses the custom font even for the script name itself. That said, the space allocated to display the name is unchanged, so there is a likeliness the debugger will display more lines as truncated with ....

I don't know what is going on under the hood. I'm sure @MonkeybreadSoftware knows more details about this. Personally, I like using the custom font, but I probably use the debugger just as much as the script workspace if not more. Having data truncated there goes against of using a custom font to improve how the text is easy to read.

I'll try to set the font size to 11 to see if this improves the output in the debugger. But if I am correct, 11 is smaller than the default font size used by FileMaker natively (please correct me if I am wrong).

I'll update with more feedback as I use this super nice feature from MBS more and more.

Using font size 11 seems to fix this for now. I guess I could also look for a font that uses less horizontal space (going from input moto to one of the variants: narrow, condensed, compressed).