Latest news from Claris: If you have not listened to this already, wait no longer

Welcome to The Soup @SteveZ.

By the way… Welcome to The Soup.

Keine Ahnung.

I feel that having to watch a 43 minute video to get a few highlights is kind of silly.

Anone who has watched the video - could you be so kind as to do a bullet point summary of the key points?

(or is the problem that there are no key points, the video is just vague?)

1 Like
  • What was called The new stuff now has a name, Claris Studio
  • They talked about FileMaker 19.5 and 19.6
  • Claris Studio includes what was called New Stuff, Claris Connect and Claris Pro (FileMaker Pro)
  • Claris Studio is on top of a standard Subscription, that is FileMaker Pro for x users and FMS
  • There is FileMaker Pro and Claris Pro, not exactly the same product since Claris Pro will be able to open Forms created by the new editor
  • There will be a free, yes free product that is Claris Studio for a single user. You can use it as long as you wish to create solutions for your use. If you wish to have others use one of your solutions, then there will be a cost to publish that solution
  • There is a program called Problems Solvers Circle

At this time, the new editor is not finished, it will take some time.

To sum up, what we have seen is interesting, we need to see the final product to make a solid opinion.

5 Likes

Posted May 4, 2022, a very informative video found on YouTube...

NEW Claris Studio & Claris Pro 20 FileMaker Quick tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSVJvfsrD4M

I inferred from the Claris video and several other sources (e.g., FileMaker Talk podcast) that Claris is rebranding FMP as Claris Pro. (The FileMaker Pro name is going away.)

Also, Claris Pro will be totally free (as opposed to the current 45 day trial period) but users will only be able to create one account; creation of a second account (to share content) will require purchase of a license.

FileMaker Server and FileMaker Go will be rebranded as Claris Server and Claris Go.

Claris Studio will include Claris Connect and be available via the web only at first. Eventually Claris Studio will be available on premise. Claris Studio will provide the ability for anonymous users to log into your database.

Further info at the dbservices blog.

1 Like

Thanks for adding these points !

1 Like

Thank you Gilles for making a list.

In the old days vendors published a written list of features when they came up with something new that was worth telling. This list enabled their customers (existing and to-become) to make up their minds about how to take advantage of 'new stuff' and to see what's in there for them. I may sound like an Oldtimer, but I found these lists quite helpful and sensible and they are priceless when you talk to a (prospective) customer who was no idea what FileMaker/Claris is.

P.S. I doubt that humanity will give up written documentation because Youtube has been invented.

1 Like

As long as it doesn't turn into the Problem Solvers Circle Jerk...

Hi @Daniel, welcome to the soup!

Thank you! Malcolm bugged me about it a while ago; I hope I now have the time to be a regular and the skills/knowledge to add some value to the discussion.

2 Likes

A free-to-try-and-learn license is definitively a good idea.

1 Like

As I recall, during the recent FileMaker Talk podcast, Claris reps admitted the term “”FileMaker” has some baggage. Rebranding as “Claris Pro” seems to be an attempt to address that issue.

Yep, 400+ bugs fixed in a single release. Does not look agile to me, more like a big release.
Hopefully, fixing a full 400+ bugs in a row did not break existing stuff.

2 Likes

We have been calling for a free or cheap entry licence for FileMaker for a very long time. Much more so since the licence price doubled. So this has got to be a good thing.

But how does it work? Let's say we develop a new solution for a small business client using Freemium FileMaker and the client plays with it and likes it. What's the next step in deployment? They might just want to get a few users running on it, so do they now have to purchase 5 licences right off, or can they just purchase the number of licences they need? Can they just buy a single licence so I can get the solution hosted with one client user accessing it while I work on phase 2 of the development? The development stage can sometimes be quite a lengthy process and solutions usually start small and quite specific as to their scope. Then the advantages to FileMaker are seen and the solution grows in scope and user base with the new client happy about paying for extra licences as the tool becomes more useful.

My guess is that the only logical step is to move to a 5-user subscription, which is OK, but will peeve some clients as they are paying for licences they are not using.

1 Like

Those are very good questions, I guess we need to wait to see where they go next with this. This is what I like about their "north stars" that are guiding them in their decisions. They give the mindset, not just "here is what we will do next".

In this case, the mindset is "No friction for new adopters", and they gave us the items they are working on introducing to our community (freemium version of pro and free access to studio). The north star is not limiting itself to just a freemium model, rather, the freemium model is what they see themselves do next to go north. Freemium is not the journey, it is a step.

Like with any of the north stars they have been talking about, there are many things that may influence what they are currently working on. Perhaps it is what they believe will give them the most "mileage", or perhaps it is a prerequisite to something they see further down the line.

This is what Claris needs to do next, communicate with us about that journey and its different steps. How will this impact the licensing model? They have not given us details on this yet. Let's not forget this is new territory for Claris and the video dates back to April. I like for them to give us an understanding of where they are going next, but I do not want them to shape that narrative too early either as this can often bring more confusion in the community, and puts them in a place where they have to spend even more effort to revisit their messaging (like with Android, NextGen and Cloud First).

But the questions you are asking are legitimate, and I believe we will soon get to see if Claris considers the 5 user minimum stands as friction to new adopters or not.

2 Likes

Claris has released an update to Claris Studio, see Rosemary Tietge post:

What's new in Claris Studio :sparkles:

2 Likes