Layout Context

Given a standard customer-invoice-line_item schema, anchor buoy, and three TOGs, which TO would you use to create a layout and portal to view line items associated with a specific customer?

I'd probably consider including a foreign key in the LineItem table which points to the Customer associated with the related Invoice. It's not the only way to get the job done, but I like that it would allow me to display, or navigate to, a Customer's LineItems from the Customer context without much work.

Given this approach, the answer to the question would be:

• I'd likely base the layout off of the Customer context.
  • A portal that looks at the Customer's line items could be one-hop away.
  • Displaying a card window with the line items could be a one-hop GTRR operation.
2 Likes

Obvious answer is Customer… however it depends what you want to achieve with your display.

5 Likes

It depends on the focus of information. If focus is on the customer, @steve_ssh's approach is a good solution.
If focus is on invoice, an invoice-based layout may be an appropriate solution, with customer details one hop away.

2 Likes

@Torsten So, one option would be to base the layout on INVOICES, set up a picker based on CUSTOMERS, and then display the line items in a portal?

1 Like

Yes, that would work.

1 Like