Navigating between different Filemaker files

In Version 17 I had developed 10 solutions that we used in Accounts Payable, to supplement deficiencies in our accounting program. They did not have a common look. What was common was a script to navigate to the main table on the main layout for that file (CTRL-1). A simple:
Enter Browse Mode
Go to Layout XXXXX

Now as I migrate to Version 19, I decided to consolidate to one FILE. So one menu could navigate to the "main layout" in each sub-solution. I had some success, Four of the files are still standalone; I could not get the relationships to work out correctly. So I am working with the Consolidated for the minor solutions and then the individual files for the four major solutions.

I created a menu button to display the nine solutions. Navigating between the external files has been hit and miss.

I have made all five files external sources to each other. For each button I navigate to that main script (CTRL-1). Results are erratic. IN simplistic terms how should I be scripting this.

Are you including the "Select Window" step in these scripts?

No. I do not use that step. In each of the five files I have a script that takes me to the primary layout of that file, so I can use CTRL-1.

This is from Checkbook.fmp12. Each CTRL-1 script I use is two lines.

ENTER BROWSE MODE
GO TO LAYOUT XXXXX

In this file, Checkbook, navigating to A/P Invoice Register and A/P Check Register work, as they should. Navigating to A/P File Cabinet and A/P Operation do NOTHING. This is no script attached to Checkbook option.

Add that step. It’s not needed for layout to layout movements within a file but it is needed when switching from one file to another.

2 Likes

Thank you Malcolm. It works.

I am using a popover to display the menu. I ended up creating scripts to 'perform" the script in the remote file, so I could add a CLOSE POPOVER step.

I put the five scripts into a folder and then imported them to all files. Copying the popover button and it all worked. The menu in AP_Operation will be expanded to go to the different internal tasks.

The SELECT WINDOW step was the key step.

1 Like