Specifying iOS devices for a FileMaker Go project

We are specifying iOS device(s) for a FileMaker Go 18/19 project...

Apple seems to be selling 3 models of the iPhone 11

• iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max

We are considering buying one of these 3 models. We are therefore trying to figure out how much screen real estate we will have to work with.

From the Apple Web site we have

• iPhone 11 = 1792‑by‑828‑pixel resolution at 326 ppi
  • iPhone 11 Pro = 2436‑by‑1125-pixel resolution at 458 ppi
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max = 2688‑by‑1242-pixel resolution at 458 ppi

Claris international has this support document that does not yet include the iPhone 11 series:
Using Screen Stencils to design iOS friendly layouts using FileMaker Go 14 or higher
https://support.claris.com/s/article/Using-Screen-Stencils-to-design-iOS-friendly-layouts-using-FileMaker-Go-14-or-higher-1503693076890?language=en_US

Apple docs are out of date as well…
iOS Device Display Summary
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/DeviceInformation/Reference/iOSDeviceCompatibility/Displays/Displays.html

There are two specification documents that we are looking to produce:

1. A comparison of the 3 iPhone models listed above that contains both screen specifications and pricing

2. A document that looks like the image below...

What is easiest way to Get ( WindowContentHeight ) and Get ( WindowContentWidth ) for these phones? (before buying)

Are the Toolbars and Menubars 44 each?

1 Like

I always find this page useful for quick reference - The Ultimate Guide To iPhone Resolutions - and has the point sizes which is important, e.g. iPhone 11 and 11 Pro Max actually have same point dimensions, although Pro Max is higher pixel count/density (PPI).

Another thing that you can use for testing solutions is running the iOS SDK in Xcode Simulator for different models of iPhones as well as iPads...

6 Likes

Thanks...

…is a good site and up to date as far as I can tell.

I edited the post above updating the diagram above.

Here is a close up on one of the 4 possible portrait deployments.

1 Like