Buying a new Mac

Thank you so much for taking the time to report your experience here!

2 Likes

concerning virtual machines..

is it true (and will be so forever) that only ARM based guest-systems can be virtualized on M1? No longer older macOS, no Windows?
omg...

I have attached a second crash log, this time after creating a new Contacts.fmp12 file from the built in template, navigating to the list view and then entering layout mode. Should remove any unknowns.

FMPA 17 Contacts Crash Log.txt (116.4 KB)

Maybe this might help for some considerations among buying a new Mac:
"Is Apple silicon ready?"
List of Apps - Status NATIVE M1 / ROSETTA2 / NOT WORKING

1 Like

You may just go with FileMaker 19 and if you like report this to Claris to make sure they fix it for the next 19.x if it's still there.

I suspect they won’t Christian, Claris have already declared that anything earlier than v19 is not supported on Apple Silicon and so far I’ve had no problems with v19, or even v18 after I removed the troublesome plugin.

Interesting, InDesign being the outstanding app. Also, no FileMaker listed at all - ouch!

There is no obligation for Claris to add themselves there. But you could point them to FileMaker working on Big Sur in Rosetta.

And if the bug is still in 19.1, please report it to Claris with sample file, so they can fix it for 19.2.

1 Like

So far, no problems with FMP 19.1.3. I did get my first crash on FMPA v18 without plugins, while quitting a system earlier. :crossed_fingers:

I also used fmDataMigration v19.1.3 today, again no problems and very quick

My conclusion so far, is keep clear of Apple Silicon if you need to run old copies of FileMaker on it, which is pretty much what we expected.

3 Likes

I would employ a prudent path, waiting at least until the next service update of Big Sur AND certification for all my business apps, for a production system. Patience, patience.

A few other annoyances, rather than problems.

The first is a Big Sur issue already reported on the Apple Support website and, in my view, is criminal of Apple and a demonstration as to why these major annual updates need more thinking time before release. It is a minor issue, but a calendar reminder has only the short ‘Snooze’ option, no ‘1 hour’, ‘1 day’, ‘this afternoon’, etc. My wife’s immediate reaction when I showed her was ‘well I’m not updating to Big Sur then’. This is a tiny issue with huge ramifications on workflow and personal organisation. The first report of this on the Apple website ended with the comment ‘This is simply unacceptable’, which I completely agree with.

Again another example of software companies not testing dual display use, both the resolutions and display arrangements are being lost after a period of screen off. I can’t say whether this is Big Sur or Apple Silicon, but it is happening with my setup, which is an Anker USB-C hub linked via HDMI to a new Samsung 34” Ultra widescreen display. I haven’t yet established how long before this happens, but certainly it did overnight. The settings (why is Power Adapter in ‘Battery’ System Preference?) are to turn the display off after 30 minutes and prevent the computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off.

An update on deleting my Time Machine backup started 4 days ago, 5.5 million items deleted and roughly 2.6Gbs freed up on the 6Gb disk (being deleted using the 2019 MacBook Air).

3 Likes

Hi Andy
Thank you for sharing your experience with us while exploring these uncharted waters :canoe:

Not sure if my issue is related to VM Parallels setup, but it also occurred with Mojave Beta native:
Booting macOS BigSur, WLAN gets activated again every time.

Perhaps this is the definition of ‘update’ vs ‘upgrade’ I was having with @bdbd earlier.

‘Update’ should retain all current features and improve the product. ‘Upgrade’ removes features that you depend on and adds new ones you don’t care about :wink:

3 Likes

A final entry here, as I’m soon going to add a post dedicated to living with the new M1 MacBook.

Deleting the Time Machine folder eventually finished yesterday, 4.5 days after selecting ‘Empty Bin’, deleting over 7 million items and freeing up about 4Tbs of data.