FMS 18.02 WebDirect / CWP

If someone would seek discourse with an entity in order to understand their ways, he/she can engage with said entity directly through the official channel. Members here may not look for insight into policy matters while discussing the technical, contractual matter at hand.

1 Like

Well put.

just as an addition to the original posting:

It is somehow not-easy to find anything in the salesforce forum - but: Accidentaly, I found 2 similar postings concerning FMS 17.03 an later and concerning FMS 17.01/02ā€¦

https://support.filemaker.com/s/article/Changes-to-Java-in-FileMaker-Server-17-0-3-and-17-0-4?language=en_US

Today in the early morning, I was able to find this when searching in the forums - but now, I had to search on the support site :upside_down_face:

There is a similar document concerning FMS17.01/02

1 Like

Itā€™s funny you say that. I was thinking the same thing. It also betrays that youā€™ve assumed meaning behind a series of events, in which you are missing large chunks of information.

Either way itā€™s fine. Hope you have a good weekend.

Have a good weekend, too.

FWIW, I just installed/updated the JDK/JRE 8 version on my AWS Win 2016 testing server with Amazon Corretto openJDK 8.

FMS 18 works fine with this Java version (211) and WebDirect works fine as well. I realize this post was about CWP, which Iā€™ve never used, but wanted to update this thread.

The install took about 30 seconds and, at least in this case, stops some corporate greed. :slight_smile:

(the power of open source!)

2 Likes

not just cwp - also webdirect. Both these components needs java

Yep.

Implicit in my posting was that I did not do the separate install (since I do not use CWP), but WebDirect worked fine after the updated Java install as I noted above.

1 Like

This week I migrated my development server and a customerā€™s production server to OpenJDK8.
Using the instructions provided by FMI (thank you @Markus) it was easy and quick to do.
However, this would be way over the head of my customers.

thatā€™s my feeling too - t is too complicated for Joe Doe - users

Does anybody know what a license of java costs? I visited the oracle site, but thatā€™s one of those sites that places a popover all over the screen (iPad) telling me something about cookies they ā€˜needā€™ - for me, absolutely no-goā€¦ (at that time, no cookies are neededā€¦)

Forget the Oracle site.

Why not use the free options like the openJDK or Corretto (an Amazon-managed open/free openJDK version)?

The Oraclerip-off is $300/yr.

Zero reason that I can see to be extorted by that greedy company as well.

Hereā€™s the current (FREE) openJDK version: JDK 12.0.2 GA Release

(Above, I posted the similar link to Amazon Corretto which is also FREE and maintained)

(Version 13 coming soon).

They also have the really, really old JDK 8, but still supported, for FMP usage.

After running the Corretto SDK install for JDK 11, it also installs the JRE.

$ java -version
openjdk version ā€œ11.0.4ā€ 2019-07-16 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Corretto-11.0.4.11.1 (build 11.0.4+11-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Corretto-11.0.4.11.1 (build 11.0.4+11-LTS, mixed mode)

2 Likes

The question was just to know what it would cost - in case any customer wantā€™s to know

OpenJDK is also Oracle.

I guess you didnā€™t read my posting above where I said Oracle wants $300/yr for a server license? :slight_smile:

The complete pricing is easily available on the Oracle site.

Start here: Java SE Subscription FAQ

Brilliant!

LOL

for europe the first cpu costs 269,-EUR without VAT, for switzerland you will - as always - have special pricing :slightly_smiling_face:
intresting to see cpu-based pricing for JAVA too, same as with Oracle DBs

Thank You! Will check that all out (ā€˜first cpuā€™ ā€¦). A small company with one filemaker server will probably have to pay ~300 CHF per yearā€¦

Thank You - and Sorry - I overlooked that :confused:

there is a small drawback when answering a posting on a discourse-website on iPad - when entering text (keyboard active), there is no way to read the posting that You are answering (one has to close the keyboard to scroll upwardsā€¦)

1 Like

No worries.

Hereā€™s a mind-map which may help others too:

3 Likes

I might be wrong, but my reading of the Oracle Java SE Subscription Global Price List and Oracle Processor Core Factor Table documents is that the price is based on the number of processor cores, not per machine. So if you have an i7 quad-core processor (8 virtual cores) the price is $1200 per year. My server is a 12-core (24 virtual) Xeon which is $3600 per year.

While both of those might be off a factor of 2 either way, according to this article https://blog.joda.org/2018/08/java-is-still-available-at-zero-cost.html the Oracle build is based on OpenJDK, as is the AdoptOpenJDK build, why in the world would we want to pay Oracle?

3 Likes