Clearly, this is the BFF!

(I mean Best Filemaker Forum, btw...)

1 Like

Heck. Let’s just call it ‘Help Room'

| Code-J
May 10 |

• | - |

Not Executive Rules then?

I like Mayday, particularly in light of its M'aidez origins.

Kind Regards,

Michael Rocharde

"If you never leave home, you can't ever get lost!"

1 Like

Sometimes overthinking only complicates things. IMHO Keep it simple. “Questions” seems likes reasonable suggestion for a place to ask questions.

2 Likes

Agree

Carrying around a teutonic-flavoured comprehension of the English language, all the associations brought up by fellow soupers never came to my mind. So I learned a lot here :slight_smile:

Admittedly, I never came to understand what 'ER' meant, until this splendid discussion took off.

@Cecile, you surely explained it to us one time and it actually did slip off my memory.

I would not be opposed to a more self-explanatory naming :slight_smile:

Cheers

I'm in favour of plain language labelling, so I will relabel the forum, currently called "+++ E.R. +++ (Questions)" to "Questions."

I should probably tag this thread as a contender for best reading this month.

If any of the other forum names have been causing confusion, now is the time to to tell us. We are all ears ( as they say in the version of English I grew up with ).

5 Likes

Now that ER has now become simply Questions (cleaner and simpler looking now, by the way), you'll need to update the text under Lounge (Discussion) as this still refers to ER. You might also consider making this simply Discussion since the room analogy is now only used in this one instance.
Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 20.15.55

5 Likes

Trust it to programmers to find consistency issues :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for noticing. And it has been modified.

3 Likes

The various changes look great. Thanks @Cecile / @Malcolm

2 Likes

Perhaps “Heads Up” should be renamed “In the News” or “FileMaker News”. The description (Warnings, Gotcha’s, etc) seems not to be fully aligned with the actual content.

For that one I don't agree. I file regularly Heads-Up material such as warnings and Gotchas in the parent channel and News material (which extends beyond FileMaker but still in a close related world) in the eponym subchannel. Finally any Upcoming Event that is not Claris sponsored or hosted gets filed in the eponym subchannel.

It is called Heads-Up! Because the stuff there is must know to be savvy in our area of expertise.

1 Like

@Cecile — I understand your rationale. In this case the sub-channel may be somewhat divorced from the parent. Is that typical in Discourse or am I misreading the sub-channel contents?

Not too sure what you mean here. One thing I like less about Discourse is that there is no way to see only the Parent's threads listing, you get the list of all the threads in the subchannels and those specific to the Parent.
You can, however, see only the threads pertaining to a channel if that one has no child.

Another platform specific limitation is that nesting is limited to one level. There are no grand-children.

Initially, the products and the plugins channels were part of what I call the Resources Family. Unfortunately, that set-up meant that the first level was getting wasted to the family name and second level to the product or plugin categories. A third level was needed to have each product in its own channel. Since it was not possible, to avoid a complete free for all, vendors were limited to only one thread in the channel and had to update it to repurpose it for announcements or description, etc.

It is important to prevent channels multiplication. I chose to segregate by Families of functions to keep the top channels to a minimum that is cognitively processable by someone considering the homepage, trying to figure out what most correspond to their current visit's objective.

Further to a community discussion, it was determined that having subchannels in the Questions and in the Discussions channels was not desirable. The tags and search function in Discourse is best to find information which, often times, would not be easy to categorise.

However, the visitor looking for information more permanent in nature, such as the one provided in the various utility channels, such as Resources, Reviews, Products, Feedback, Heads-up, etc., benefit from having that information organised.

Anatomy of the thread listing (default filter "Latest" ) in Parent Channel Main Listing

It is possible to see only those threads pertaining to a subchannel by selecting it
headsup subchannel

tooltip

@Cecile — I’d expect a sub channel would be the same type of contents as the parent, so for example if the channel is “Books” I’d expect sub-channels to be “Literature” or “Stephen King”. Having a channel that’s basically “Warnings” with a sub-channel “In the News” seems incongruent. Not a big deal, however, if I’m the only one who finds this taxonomy counter-intuitive. I appreciate your thorough reply.

1 Like

Heads-up to me meant “be aware”
:slightly_smiling_face: but English is my second language.

2 Likes