Most Frequent Mistakes

We’ve had a customer from Myanmar for 7 years. Although their Internet has improved, initially it was run by the mafia and consisted of a few external addresses with NAT, upon NAT, upon NAT underneath it.

It was our biggest challenge to optimise our systems to accommodate their frequent connection breaks and a routing table nightmare.

However, even now in the UK, we have people with broadband connections here that would struggle to beat a modem connection.

We recently had our systems tested from China and the connection was so bad, that even our system designed for low bandwidth use were not viable.

I think most of the designers in the west coast of the US also believe everyone has at least 100Mbs connections and that everyone is Internet connected, which of course is far from the truth.

ps, I can operate mobile better from the top of most Austrian (and presumably Swiss) Alps than I can from here to our nearest town. :weary:

Confirmed. For a customer I occasionally worked on urgent files on a solution while hiking in the mountains. 4G at 2500m rocks!

1 Like

Even if it is not specifically a scripting mistake (based on the tag for this topic) something I come across every now & then is a problem that manifests itself because the layout is still on the ‘classic’ theme.

Doing replace field contents? OK. Replace Field has so many potentially negative ramifications, especially with the associated performance hit, that you must have some reason for doing that.

I don’t agree with the general point at all. We never could disregard the user environment unless we delivered to small LAN networks.

And if you are making bulk changes to large datasets then (as fmpdude is happy to tell us) FMP/FMS isn’t the only tool in the shed.

Malcolm

I think we’re saying the same thing Malcolm.

yumyum!

here’s a new one, got headaches since we got a utility file that has that

Windows
FileMaker 15 (server and clients)
Language=SwissGerman (keyboard)

• have 2 fields in a layout, one normal text-field, the other one is that kind of field that displays bullets (no idea how named in english)
  • tab-order so, that after field 1 it goes to field 2 (that one with bullets for passwd)

Every time, one tab’s from field 1 to field 2, the keyboard changes to English (no way to enter credentials - if they contain special characters)

:crazy_face:

Change the field 2 to a normal text-field and it does no longer change the keyboard. Change it back to ‘bullets’ and it will change again

No problem at all if You are on an english system, I suppose

Has that one been reported?

1 Like

Not yet.
I’ve had that since months - and always thought that an older file with locale settings was the reason. Today, I had to dive in because of changes for the next ISO certification - and realized that

Since v15 will be out of support in september, I will check that out with newer fm versions first

I don’t think that’s one of your mistakes Markus.

Curious. I have a customer where a single user, using a Lenovo PC/Laptop with touchscreen, experiences FMPA switching to English keyboard each time a text field is entered. The system is set to Swiss German, including keyboard.

happens here on virtualized system (client and server). I have to check that out, when we got FM18 (we can not install something by ourselfes)

On macOS, I do not have that issue

Markus, are you using Remote Desktop for Mac v10? Does this also happen if you log into the file using RDP on Windows? Or from within FileMaker on Windows directly?

The reason I ask, is that we have had to create a customised Windows keyboard on our RDP servers, as full keyboard mapping isn’t available within RD for Mac as yet (it is on the Microsoft Mac team’s development plan). Even with the customised keyboard, we can’t get a full UK Mac keyboard map to the Windows keyboard, but it is close enough.

I wonder whether this is an RDP thing and not a FileMaker issue?
Custom%20Keyboard

its all VMWare, at the moment Windows 8.1. No physical PC

I have to wait for fm18 to check out if something was changed - fm15 is not brand new…

We have had ‘copy/paste’ problems in the past with FM - but that was indeed an issue with citrix/vmware

It would be really interesting to know whether a PC running v15 as standard connected to the same file still had the same problem.

As for the file: I created a brandnew, vanilla, local file with only 2 fields… same effect

Maybe I can get a laptop with local resources and check that out

We got a superbe system here: If one buys a new MacBook or desktop machine, the old system can be sold via the vendor. Prices are quite good. (not via Apple)
All fine - but that’s the reason that I’m out in the fields without a machine other than the iPad. Means: No local testing at the moment…

When I get my new MacBook, I will check it out with virtual machines

I tested in my office under Windows 10 on a virtual machine, 15.01 and 15.05 (latest patch) with a new local file, only 2 fields

no problem, works as expected

Will test on a laptop on that customer's site

1 Like

did a test with a laptop, physical machine
Windows 8.1
FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.01 (is an old ‘spare’ laptop, got no other device here)
SwissGerman os and keyboard

New file, 2 fields, text
in layout: One normal textfield, one as textfield with bullets

-> when tabing to field 2, language changes to ENG

(same as under virtualized os)

That now sounds as if you should post on the ‘Report Problems’ on the official community site (if you can find it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Thanks for following through, as we have a number of international keyboard setups on our Citrix/RemoteApp servers.

I’m still puzzeled - I tested yesterday on a Windows 10 VM in my office (no problem)

I will check that out with a win 8.1 vm in my office (I was thinking that the laptop at the customer’s site is on win10 as well, but it’s on 8.1)