Most Frequent Mistakes

It is totally frustrating when you can’t get continuity in testing, it eats time.

Also, as an aside, remember if you’re developing in Citrix or RDP sessions, multiple windows open and script debugger can consume a huge amount of memory. I’ve 5 windows open at the moment plus the script workspace and have attached a screen shot of the RAM currently in use by the server. I’m sure you can spot my session compared to the normal users.

I’ve seen this exceed 2.5Gbs and would often log out and then back in again to clear the allocation as it does continue to grow.

RDP%20RAM

hmm... that leads to another one

• fm15, Windows 8.1
  • script-workspace open
  • run a script that takes a short time to finish without script-w. open (maybe 2-5 seconds)

it will take a huge amount of time to finish and a developer often kills that script, leaving garbaged data behind...

I posted it earlier this year in the Jive-based forum and got answers. Either it was lost in transfer or I can’t find it anymore through the search function.

I got the layer with filemaker 18 on the virtualized Windows 8.1 half a hour ago… and tested the ‘keyboard-switch’

• under fm18, it does no longer switch the keyboard!

How do you protect a Win 8.1 machine?

? not sure what/who You mean…

We got IT departements here, we never deal with the Windows os on customer sites

What we have here:

• no way to use usb-sticks/-devices
  • no way to use own peripherie
  • no way to use private laptops, etc
  • users have no rights to install anything

during the last ISO certification, the certification-experts tried quite some time to get access to the system, it was solid (except for one ‘piece’ that is fixed now)

This answers my question, thanks.

We’ve worked with a number of hospitals in the UK and what we’ve been able to do has varied over the years and, in particular, hospital by hospital.

However, whatever we’ve had to comply with has always made life very difficult for us, but it has been very rewarding working with people doing some amazing work.

1 Like

My desktop is still a 8.1 machine. Let me know if I can help. (I sooo need to find the time to update that thing… problem with a main working machine: it has so many tools and utilities and custom configurations that it is a nightmare when you want to build it anew.)

Thank You!

Since we are on a migration (to Win 10 and FM18), we do not try to solve that issue.

It only happens with one admin task (creating/admin users over all db-applications, that are about 150 db files…) and since we do know now, we can live with it for the remaining time…

It was really annoying - I thought that it would be because of one or some of the oldest files, but could not find out wich…

Admin of user-accounts goes via scripts, fmpurl - credentials needed…

1 Like

Cecile,

regarding your own computer. In the past I was not a great fan of upgrading Windows, I preferred to reformat the disk and install from scratch. When it was time to move from Win 7 to Win 10, I face the same task so many tools to reinstall. I upgraded Windows 7 to 10. But before I checked how that would go:

• I created a clone of the partition
  • I upgraded the clone and tested

I loved a lot Win 10 so I upgraded my real partition, but first taking an image because you never know what happened. That was few years ago.

Recently, Microsoft drop the ball with new releases (twice a year), and they did a again with Win 10 1903. I suggest you to wait for Microsoft to repair what’s broken. For example, the last Tuesday update broke VB 6 applications. On the only computer with 1903, I can start the VPN to my customer’s system, bat afterwards I can’t a map drive :rage:. On the other computer which is at 1806, it works fine.

2 Likes

We’ve seen the same issues.

another bad one…
if You upload files to fms (it’s a pitty that we can no longer upload directly from the admin console, btw), You can choose the location on the server (aka folder). But we can not see what is already in that folder - mostly, I put files in the wrong folder…

• if there are folders on different volumes, one might get ‘disk full’ messages
  • maybe that folder is in no backup schedule…
  • etc.
1 Like

Final Cut Pro X all over again. You never know, by the time we get to v21 we may have some of the features from v16 back again.

The whole folder, and particularly alternative folders, is a mess at the moment.

1 Like

forgot on thing…

If You are running into that ‘disk full’ situation die to wrong placement of files, the admin console might refuse to start…

ok, minor one. The admin console is no longer that helpfull (versions 17 and later)
:do_not_litter:

I didn’t keep up with the latest updates on Nutshell Console but I know it was in the works (folders). Maybe the feature has been added?

Yes, the new console has nice features, but it regresses in terms of functionalities.

I’ve a new frequent mistake, but am notified immediately when I do it. We use the # () and #Get () custom functions pretty much all the time to pass multiple parameter to scripts and subscripts. We also use the ~ key for calculation variables in the likes of Let () and While () calculations.

Within a script, we usually don’t convert the hashed parameter variables into visible local parameters but use the #Get ( params ; "variableName" ) throughout. Constantly I am entering the ~ rather than the for my local variable, ~params rather than $params which of course the calculation engine picks up on every time. Only recently became aware that I was doing this. Doh!

I’ve a new mistake, the first time I’ve made it and I feel such an idiot.

We’re currently testing our first Windows 2019 Server to stream FileMaker via RemoteApp and thought I had come across a Mac keyboard mapping problem with ‘CTRL /’ that was preventing me from disabling scripts in the script workspace.

There I was having reverted to testing a new Windows 10 PC laptop with FMPA 18.0.3 and getting close to reporting that someone had forgotten to add the ‘Edit -> Disable’ menu item in the Script Workspace.

Thankfully, 35 years of FileMaker experience finally percolated through my focus on Windows 2019 and I realised while testing FileMaker on a new server user account, I hadn’t launched FileMaker, enabled advanced tools in preferences, exited and relaunched.

I can’t believe I actually lost time on this, but maybe the danger of having to manage multiple accounts I guess - doh!

1 Like

If it’s any consolation, I’ve been puzzled by this twice already. The fact that we don’t have a different app fmp and fmpa for advanced features and that they’re not active by default in our “development” app makes it easy to forget. We don’t install our development software everyday…

3 Likes