What are low-code databases (FileMaker is not there . . . )

:worried:

Here is an article abot low-code databases What are low-code databases? | VentureBeat

Under Who are the main providers ow low-code databases ? one reads:

• Access, first shipped in 1992 (29 years ago)
  • PowerApp, again a Microsoft product
  • Honeycode, from Amazon
  • AppSheet, from Google (in how much time will this product will shut down . . . )

As you can see, FileMaker is not there.

I leave you with a question: why ?

Funny. David and I had a conversation about that yesterday. Conclusion: because FileMaker is RAD not low code. Can be used low code but it is not by design.

That said, I don't agree that Access is low-code.

2 Likes

Hum, for simple projects it's low code, like FileMaker. But when you need a powerful app, here comes the code. But both are much less code than going with, say' MS SQL Server.

Why isn't FileMaker in their list ?

1 Like

This is a brand awareness problem. This is specifically one of the first efforts that Britta is making to help fix that, as she outlined in the FMDISC meeting.

1 Like

I will watch the video this afternoon.

Here is an interesting brand awareness announcement from Claris.

https://community.claris.com/en/s/question/0D53w00005En1trCAB/new-claris-brand-awareness-campaign

Wouldn’t consider Access a low code tool.

@planteg I'm not too concerned about the definition. That space is still defining itself, getting someone to put MS Access in there is a telling sign that people trace boundaries differently from each other.

I'm more curious to see a journalist coming up with an article about who should use low-code and what for. The use cases listed in this specific article are very generic. When I see record keeping and customer interactions, just about any CRM could fit it, but that does not make them low-code platforms.

Some systems will get listed and some other will not.

A lineup talking about google forms, airtable and the like is at risk of leading people to think other tools face similar limitations when FileMaker is much more flexible.

So I am not concerned with one article or another. I hear Claris is working on brand awareness, we will see where that goes and how it aligns itself with both the platform and the vision they have for success in a space that is getting more crowded.

2 Likes

You'll find the reason on the website contact page:

Browsers, platforms, general tech news; Google and Microsoft: Emil Protalinski

One more for the road What is low-code and no-code? A guide to development platforms | ZDNet

The first one mentioned is the S word (SalesForce) see details for that product. The first sentence is

Salesforce has a long history of introducing platforms targeted exclusively to non-technical business users, and its low- and no-code solution offerings are no exception.

I will not add anything, I do not want to banned by the moderators :smiley:.

Our editors pick the products and services we write about. When you buy through our links, ZDNet may earn a commission.

All I’ll say is that a website that starts with this disclaimer at the top of it’s page is not the kind of website I want to refer to in order to know what is what.

I get it, it's the sale's force :rofl:.

A couple of interesting articles on this subject:

This article is linked to the above, which includes comments from Brad Freitag:

Interesting to see this phrase regarding Filemaker... I had never, ever heard of FM until I did a temporary stint and they used it to manage conferences. I quickly learned the basics and some more advanced features, having spent years using Office and Access a fair amount. I'm now a big fan of FM, although some of its quirks (i.e., formatting layouts) drive me completely bonkers.

2 Likes

What about it drives you bonkers? This is really good info.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Developer interactions while in layout mode