What it takes to move forward

That was the other post I was trying to write lol Thank you for recentering!

Yes I was.
I remember writing a loooooong text in the box explaining that the questions and choices were not addressing my concerns !!!

I agree. I did not mind so many categories. I understood where it was coming from. In fact, I remember having an ah ah moment once while I was clicking the "details" in a question dialog.
I thought "Wow... that is what the implementation of my suggestion of quick questions, looks like" A bit unexpected and unfamiliar but I decided to respect it as an interpretation of how to solve the request.

After that time, I tried to observe what seemed to be by design and what was the limitations of the platform.

Can we go back on topic maybe?

My apologizes for derailing the thread. That was definitely my fault.

:dolphin:

1 Like

Wow,

with all the action on this particular thread, MFSC has a hard time sending emails to those who follows it :weary:.

After this flow of words, this is my summary.

@jormond needed a lot of words to say there are things he can tell. That means he knows better than others - because he is an FMI partner - what’s going up. I do understand this and I guess he feels miserable not being able to shed some light.

But now lets take another view at what is going on, how those who don’t know ‘these things’ feel. We had in the past Jive that what not perfect, but that did quite a good job. There were almost no complaints. We were promised a new Community that will be so fantastic. And when we saw the new Community, we have been deeply disappointed. What went bad, we don’t know for sure. Good salesman able to sell a bad product, else, everyone have a theory.

The bottom thing, the impression most of us got, is that we were promised a Ferrari . … and we got a Pinto :confounded:. We went from working tool to something quite below expectations. Maybe under the hood it’s quite impressive, but what we get is a car that choke every stop sign . . .

The appearance is against FMI, and we all know that appearance is very important.

That reminds me the story of Wordstar. Some time ago that was the best selling. WordPerfect was way better but wasn’t able to outsell Wordstar . . . until Worrstar interface was completely overhauled in Wordstar 2000 that was supposed to be an improvement. Event the long term users were at lost with this new product, feeling they need to learn a new product, up to the point that they gave a chance to WordPerfect. That was the end of Wordstar.

The image is quite important, and as we know, we only have one chance to make a first good impression.

3 Likes

Thank you planteg for summarizing.

Regarding the topic of the thread, how do you see things?

1 Like

The early days of the FileMaker community on Jive was not pretty either.
SalesForce did not become one of the dominant players in this space by being terrible; there is a lot of moving pieces here, and only a few at outwardly facing; objectives few outside of FMI are aware of (Josh is likely one of them).

SAP is a dominant player in the ERP space - with a 55% outright failure rate! Even when basic functionality is in place, there are months of duration in getting it running correctly and feature rich.

I don’t see SF to be anywhere near as failure prone, nor do I see FMI’s instantiation to be a failure; it is just currently feature challenged. Things are starting to work better and better every day. Getting this going fits in the story line of “How do you eat an elephant?” …

I am partner as well - but I do know nothing more…

There are definitely things I can't talk about. I talk about what I can. I give the summary with no details of things that while not really NDA, can't share specifics because some things are waiting on approval. So FMI will not speak about them publicly until that piece is done.

Do I feel "miserable that not being able to shed some light"? No, not at all. I don't feel miserable about anything. If we had this same conversation in person, we would all be laughing and having a grand time. I'm not as angry as some people read my posts to be. :crazy_face:

Joshua, you certainly have good intentions to help those-who-are-not-in-the-knowing with hints.

This site is about FileMaker the product, more specifically about using it as a platform for development.
This site is not about FMI.

Please let us focus on the purpose of this site.

Agreed. Thus the reason for my apology above. My last response was to clarify something planteg said.

:dolphin:

Ok, got it :slightly_smiling_face:

I used the wrong word with miserable’.

I mean that someone may feel uncomfortable or sorry when he knows something that may make others happier, but he can’t tell right away. I understand that close partners to FMI or any other organization may be under NDA, and I am fine with this. This is the normal process.

Just joined and i have to say this is wonderful. A true forum platform that’s is quick, feature rich and works great on my mobile devices. I have hardly visited the official forums since the change - it really grates on me and works appallingly badly on Apple’s own devices the iPad and iPhone.

Whatever the long term decision regarding this site it has certainly opened my eyes to what the Discourse forum platform can offer.

Thanks again.

4 Likes

Why are questions easier than replies ?

I really like MFSC a lot. I plan to come here often and to help those who will post questions as much as I can. I don’t use FileMaker these days, unfortunately, but when I will have a question I will post it here.

To keep MFSC alive, we will need to have users come here. I wonder how we tell the world we are here ? Links to MFSC on other sites would for sure help. What are your thoughts on this friends ?

1 Like

Let’s spread the word among fellow developers for a start.

1 Like

Yes, post messages into the other forums and lists. Most of us use more than one resource, so it’s an easy thing to do.

You can easily reply directly via email. When you login your avatar in the top right will display numbers that mean new threads or replies to threads. The drop-down will provide links to those posts and then there is a reply button on each post.

Malcolm

planteg is French Canadian like me. I believe what he was trying to express was figuratively:

Asking a question is easier than finding what to answer :slightly_smiling_face: