Big announcements from FMI?

In regulated industries, regulations (these are laws) define the what, how, when, who, with what (means of compliance).
Taking a different (non-compliant) path leads to undesirable or even disastrous results.
Many vendors reacted to the needs of (regulated) businesses by offering versions with long-term support which favour stability, availability and safety over innovation. These versions receive bugfixes throughout their lifetime.

Iā€™ve clicked on a couple of links recently, expecting to be taken to a page on filemaker.com - and Iā€™ve ended up on Salesforceā€™s site. Perhaps this could be related to the announcement.

all exists on that site (ISO asks for thatā€¦). The CEO just did not want to wait, was impatientā€¦

means: Testing takes time

The FileMaker Community site is run off of one of SalesForceā€™s products, called Community Cloud. Itā€™s one of the few options FileMaker can use for the scale of activity they have typically had. It has nothing to do with the announcement today.

activity they typically HAD : so TRUE. Now, with the new community site, thereā€™s no more activity on it anymore !

1 Like

There is much more activity than you realize. Itā€™s just not as evident without a single list to see it all.

I realise the FileMaker Community site uses one of SalesForceā€™s products. I was just surprised that some links Iā€™ve used recently includes ā€˜salesforce.comā€™ in the URL. But Iā€™m sure youā€™re right - and pleased to hear itā€™s not related to the announcement. (I would be more than happy if the announcement was that finally we could sort value lists properly.)

1 Like

Watch Twitter. Iā€™m sure some is being talked about.

I don't have any disrespect for FMI, not at all. FileMaker does a lot behind the scene for us developing with it. I watch the Behind the scene about Layouts. The optimization that is done automatically is phenomenal !

I just wonder if FMI is able to deliver a new version in 12 months. That's really short.

The release cycle has little to do with feature development time. It may affect planning of development time, but features take what they take. The big plans typically are 3 or 5 year plans with a series of releases and features.

What they have at 12 months is what they release. They just keep working. There is essentially 2 development cycles, if you pardon the simplification. QA for Next releases, and longer term features that wonā€™t be ready until after Next.

Well, the thing is out: Filemaker, Inc rebrands as ā€˜Clarisā€™ - on rhabille la Giraffe.

https://www.filemaker.com/blog/2019/claris-ceo-introduces-reenergized-brand-vision-strategy

Clear?

2 Likes

and a bit more
https://www.filemaker.com/blog/2019/the-future-of-the-claris-platform

True, thatā€™s big news. I wonder if they will also re brand FileMaker product name.

They may eventually. But having the company name different than the product makes it easier to have multiple products. In this case, FileMaker and Claris Connect ( formerly Stamplay ).

There is an article on CNBC saying the new CEO wants to raise the prices to $50 mo per user I canā€™t believe this is true does anyone have more details on this? I have to believe Brad was misquoted or weā€™re all doomedā€¦

ā€œClaris is transitioning away from a business model where it runs on servers owned and operated by companies that purchase the software outright to a monthly subscription model of about $50 per person per month, Freitag said.ā€

Looks like a total transition to SAAS is underway.

Yes I know what is says but I am looking for others to corroborate this story before I totally believe it.

In one of my posts in the FMI forum I wrote that FM being only available as SAAS would be a dystopian perspective.

A thread has been started on this subject, $50/user/month, see Claris : 50$ per user per month, he's nuts!

Lol. Oops.