Claris Platform: 2021 Vision - your comments

I am waiting for the public recording, so I know what information is public and what not.
The FBA version had a few more things in the Q&A than the public one.

1 Like

The recording is now available on Claris Youtube channel: Claris Platform: February 2021 Vision - YouTube

5 Likes

I watched it out of interest. In my honest opinion they seem embroiled in marketing mode - lots of buzzwords, market segments, promises, etc. I don't think I actually saw anything of interest. The sound was awful and the lack of actual demonstrations somewhat alarming.

They need to stop with this marketing, buzzword rich nonsense and start delivering.

4 Likes

Duration is just over one hour. I definitely prefer a concise written statement, as it was done before. I could read it in 10 minutes. 10 minutes compared to 60 minutes. The Youtube show's noise-to-signal ratio could be better.

2 Likes

and something in our native language. I had problems to understand, sometimes

Android was a must-have here one or two of years ago, no longer that important (here) - and LiveCode became a true spammer (here)

For me, there was definitely too less of information

1 Like

Did you watch the live webinar? Or the Youtube video? The sound in the Youtube video was significantly better.

As for the content, it's important to remember that this "Vision" series was version one of a series of videos they planning. This first one was to layout the context for where they are headed. There are a few key points in that video that should give us a sense of what is on their minds. Here are the things I saw, along with other private conversations that reinforced the message:

• Licensing. The community as a whole has been very vocal about having simpler licensing. Srini talked about that specifically. They are still working on the details, but wanted to give us a glimpse into the future and where they are headed. The point was to let us know that we were heard and that they are working on it.
  • More licensing. Unifying the licensing really can have a great benefit to give users and developers more tools without having more ad-hoc charges.
  • Marketing. Claris marketing is not aimed at us. We are not the audience. However, marketing is 100% key to growth. So we have to tolerate it. Without marketing, the platform will die. Marketing is also not the only method used for growth, but it can put growth on the fast track. It's also really important to remember the audience for that webinar, is also not just us as developers. So the message has to be a little broader.
  • Add-ons. Add-ons will have a huge impact on driving growth of the platform. Growth also means more resources allocated to FileMaker. That will only benefit us. As Add-ons mature, and we can more easily update them, and more easily pull in new functionality, it will be an amazing tool in our tool belt.
  • Demonstrations. Because Claris has moved to a more agile approach, it's kind of hard to tell us what's coming, because the next release will have all the features/fixes that would show, and the release is typically not more than a couple months away. At their next sprint, they decide the focus, at the end of the Sprint, it's working or becoming clear that a ton more work needs to be done. If you really want to see what they are working on... Join ETS. If you need help getting in contact, let me know. Claris needs as many people testing and reporting issues as possible.
  • Message. Keep an eye out for more coming about this. Britta Rock's grasp of marketing and what is needed for growth is a tremendous spark for Claris. The marketing team is really ramping up and doing a ton of work to benefit us. Specifically brand awareness...this is a long term, methodical process. Britta and her team have this underway. It's exciting and will have a big impact on us.
  • More to come. This webinar was the start of what Claris is planning to be a monthly webinar to continually feed us info. So the info will be a mix of marketing efforts, technical presentations, and interviews. More information given to us in small chunks. It's going to be good stuff. So buckle up, and give constructive feedback. Claris is asking for, and setting up official channels for feedback as they move forward.
2 Likes

@jormond Since you are a partner, you are exposed to more information. Those who are not don't have this chance.

Claris marketing is not aimed at us.

Well then why did Claris took again most the hour to repeat that marketing ??? I speak for myself: I am not interested in that, I want to be feed with factual information, not mumbo jumbo. IMHO people who attended the presentation wanted to get the type of information that was in the past communicated during RoadMap presentation.

In the past, it has been said that FMI was not caring about professional developers - I mean people involved mainly in development - and that changed. But since Claris, we don't get that information. I know that they use Agile now, but that not explain that change.

Again I speak for myself: in these presentations, I want to get meat, not hors d'oeuvre. I am disapointed.

3 Likes

I'm not a partner. I have however worked very hard to build a relationship with the people at Claris. Part of that relationship is also to help add important commentary to what we see, so all understand better what Claris' vision is.

It was the purpose of that presentation. It sets the stage for everything that comes after this. This absolutely was a necessary step as they begin this new track of information flow into the community.

I agree there were many that feel that way. But this presentation was not targeted ONLY for that audience. Keep watching, more is coming.

It is what people said, however it's slightly inaccurate. The people at FMI/Claris have always cared about developers. The only change was that more of that information was being made public, and you heard even more when @lecates and Rosemary talked about the relationship between the company and developers. The public then was seeing what many of us have always seen.

The ears and minds of the people at Claris are wide open. They are listening and responding to the feedback they are receiving. We are already seeing the response from that openness.

Join ETS, you will see how fast they go from discussing something to releasing it. The only real delay is ETS testing it to help identify things that the thorough testing in the lab can't possibly catch.

This is the beginning, not the end. Keep watching.

1 Like

I forgot about that. We were told, I think it was prior version 19 launch, that they to open ETS to more people. If I am right, Rosemary provided people with an email to ask to be part of ETS. I sent an email and never heard of anything afterwards, even no acknowledgement of receipt. How should I interpret that ?

Thanks a lot

Well, when I tried to get in, I emailed Rick Kalman.
You may find him on the Claris Community.

I checked on the Community and got an answer from Rosemary telling I should email ets@claris.com.

3 Likes

Thanks. That may be better than target individuals.

tried that, no answer.

For ETS, one should have some time to test, to be active - not all have that time.

I was keen to be included in ETS and I never heard anything back. I don't know whether it was one person dropping the ball or management level stuff-up, but I didn't follow up to find out.

a while back, I was 'ETS' and I participated - spent much more time that I should. In that time, the 'internet' was not as today - so, I tested during train-rides (daily..) but when I arrived at the office, almost every finding was already published by others...

I thought that this was the reason that they dropped me (understandable, although I do not love that)

I would suggest trying to reach out to the email above again.

I'm not a partner. I have however worked very hard to build a relationship with the people at Claris.

Although I know what you mean, there is so much wrong with these 2 sentences. Just imagine hearing one of your clients saying this about your company. Or do your clients also have to "work hard" to build a relationship with you?

I can't help myself but I've got the impression that Claris and we, the developer community are going in different directions instead of supporting each other. Sorry, but depricating Runtimes, complicating licenses, making everything more expensive, giving no solutions for small teams and feeding us with marketing speak are not my understanding of driving the platform forward.

6 Likes

I hear you about how this have gone in the past. This is a completely new management team. Listen to the masters recording of the FM DISC meeting that includes Britta and Andy. This is not Claris moving in the wrong direction. This is them working hard to get it right. We aren’t always going to agree with their decisions, but hey are listening to feedback and adapting.

Relationships always involve work. I’ve been married for 21 years. Regardless of how much you have in common or wish it was automatic, that’s not how relationships work. My comment was pointing to something specific that was said earlier, and it would be easy to pull it out of that context and twist it. I’m not here to litigate the past.

1 Like

Well, I see the public version, the FBA version of the webinar with different Q&A and I see what's in ETS.

As far as I see, some great things are coming and over the next months I expect things to trickle down. Next update will show more to the public as things get ready for release.

And always remember, that Claris has a long term plan, which may not have the goals you wish for.

2 Likes