Claris Platform: 2021 Vision - your comments

Hi @jormond , where can that FM DISC meeting recording be found?
Thanks

@Torsten - This is some of the best communication and explanation I've seen come from Claris/FileMaker publicly. You get a sense of where they are headed, and some of the challenges they face. Some more of this in the Vision webinar would be amazing.

4 Likes

hope it's valuable content - I would like to get concrete answers for: will specs change - scaling - multi threading - bugs fixed etc ..

1 Like

We have already seen that the release notes are being a bit more detailed. Hopefully we can collaborate with Claris to keep that trend going. It is immensely helpful.

I don't see us ever getting a full scale demo like we used to get with the Roadmap webinars. It's just not how Agile works. But the faster pace of fixes and updates is refreshing. Typically, we are only waiting months instead of years to see adjustments. They can't get everything this as fast as we want, but definitely a good trend in the right direction.

.. yes they bring it out faster but not sure about quality - being conservative here: quality before quantity. New features are welcome if they work and not rushed out with QA left to end users.

Do you have a specific instance where this bit you? Gathering data to carry with me when I talk with the good people at Claris. They are very interested in making the process better, and getting it right. So feedback helps them with that.

1 Like

Thanks for your offer. If you can ask them to change the Execute FM Data API back from a script step to a function as originally intended that would help. Please also ask to increase bottle necks like script parameter length and result length - it's super tight.
Please also ask to fix bug that aborted PSoS execution of remote script gives error back if called by locally hosted file.
(Could go on endlessly)

Good news though: FM18 SetRecursionLimit after years of begging and bugging specs changed since recursion was introduced in FM7 (sadly not well done due - will only work in simple setup scenario etc..)

These are not examples of how their Agile approach broke something or produced a lower quality result. Most of these are actually results of their pre-Agile efforts. They are good thoughts, and I also have some thoughts on them, but that is probably best served in another thread instead of here.

If you are interested in that kind of a discussion, I invite you to start a new thread and tag me and I will participate.

2 Likes