We have been using FileMaker "Placeholder Text” more and more and wrote this up to send to customers to help them get the most out of the platform…
FileMaker 14 (and up) allows you to specify "Placeholder Text" to be displayed inside an empty field while in the Browse Mode and/or Find Mode.
Use cases for "Placeholder Text":
• Use instead of a field label (only when space is tight)
• Provide a hint, suggestion, or guidance to the user
• Input mask, for example, ###-###-####
• Misc. additional instructions
Placeholder Text can be static or calculated (including text formatting options).
Placeholder text is specified in the Inspector > Data tab > Field section
Some user interface ideas are…
• Color Placeholder Text grey #888888, so that it looks different than field data.
• For a drop-down menu field, use the Apple User interface convention of adding additional an ellipsis (…) suffix, for example "Type…"
• Calculate the text to turn red to indicate required entries
How do you use "Placeholder Text"?