FMS18v4 Out - Data restoration status?

That was my first instinct as well, then I had flashbacks to problems caused by solutions to non-existent problems. 90% of the issues I've had with FMS17 and FMS18 started with me inputting a command into the CLI and having everything become non-responsive. So I'm a bit torn on taking action.

Never had any issues with the CLI on Windows though.
The instructions are simple. Just read carefully..

I don't think the CLI is difficult, I've just had several issues with it becoming unresponsive. Windows Server 2016.

Reading comprehension isn't the issue.

...apart from showing mistakes in the documentation / man-pages, path information is done with wrong delimiters on windows, so don't expect to be able to just copy from online docs, you will have to try as this seems to have been copied from the macOS docs :frowning:

my apologies !

Can you expand a bit on that? What types of commands and did it happen on multiple servers?

I pretty much live in the CLI on all the servers I touch and never had issues so I'm interested in trying to figure out what set of circumstances would make that behave like you describe.

I'm curious also. The only time I've it something unresponsive is if I was closing a file that was mid-find, or a backup was running.

No worries- my reply was too defensive, so apologies from me as well.

@WimDecorte That's a totally reasonably request that I can't really fulfill. It's been at least half a year since I ran into that.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned it (since it implies the CLI is faulty). I mainly mentioned it off hand as a reason why I just wanted to leave well enough alone.

When I have an issue with FileMaker I do try and reproduce and submit a bug report, but sometimes I just don't have time (or I can't reproduce it).

4 Likes

is this official from Claris International Inc.? how do you know??

I'll add my thought to this, but won't try to answer for Wim.

This is the "official" response from Claris: https://support.filemaker.com/s/article/FileMaker-Server-18-Stability-Improvements?language=en_US

As developers, and as customers who have a relationship with Claris, we know it's not fixed. Because it's not fixed, and in my case, it's crashed so many times, turning it off is the safe move for your data. We have not had a crash since we turned off StartupRestoration/Page Locking. It's a really, really big move that they attempted. They are still heading that direction, but have found some areas in the engine that need to be changed to realize the full vision of that feature.

We are piecing this together from what we see as server admins, info we have gotten from conversations with Claris staff, and what happens with other developers we are in communication with.

4 Likes

Marketing issued an engineering statement.

1 Like

I don't know what you are referring to...

Is that like when marketing limited (as no other company does) FMI's JDBC driver's functionality so it only works with FMS or a "local" copy of FMP? This restriction is simple to work around, but it never should have been there in the first place.

Sorry, this comment is out of place here, perhaps, but I reacted to FMI marketing making engineering decisions.