FMS v 18.0.3 is out

FMS v18.0.3 is out. This seems to fix an issue with Apache web server. Hopefully, related issues like this one got fixed, too.

4 Likes

Just tried to install FMS v18.0.3 on a MacOS 10.14.6 dev server. The installer told me that FMS 18 is already installed and terminates.

It requires a full uninstall-new install cycle.

Relaunched the installer after a full uninstall. The installer then asked for customer data. I put the company name in. The installer complains that this is not a valid license. No - it is the company name! No place to insert a key or importing a license file.
At this point, to go ahead, select a trial license install. Otherwise the installer just quits.
Once the install is completed, import the license file.

Setting up a new server is lots of work for a simple service update. Confusing, out of context dialog ā€˜This is not a valid licenseā€™.

Addendum: restart the server twice after installing the java package of choice, i.o. to make remote access to the admin console work again.

Ouch. Wonder if itā€™s specific to your system particulars or for any case scenarios.

I must admit, I havenā€™t tried a single update since v18 server came out without a full FMS and Java uninstall - Mac or Windows.

Iā€™m hoping this is a temporary thing due to the Java licensing issue and not the signs of things to come.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never done a FMS ā€œupdateā€. Itā€™s always a full uninstall, reinstall.

@jormond, @AndyHibbs, I have done the v18.0.1 to v18.0.2 update i.a.w. the update instruction.
It worked fine. I also understand why you prefer to un-install, install for service updates.
However, the update instructions given should match the installerā€™s behaviour.

1 Like

Agreed. I just know Iā€™ve run into issues anytime I tried to patch. Itā€™s easier just to back it up, uninstall, blow away the FileMaker Server folder, and run through the install process. 15 mins vs 2 hours trying to figure out why nothing is working.

3 Likes

Yesterdays I updated a production server (Mac) to FMS v18.0.3. It went nicely and all was fine after reboot.

2 Likes