How we first met

Hi I would like to know how members heard about this community. As for myself, I recall a post from @Malcolm on the official community (here I believe).
Did you get an invite?
Just curious to see what has already been done, thinking about sharing with others but not wanting to overlap too much what may already have been done on social media.

also, can someone let me know why the topics from the lounge channel HAVE to wear at least one tag?

1 Like

In the FMI-owned forum a link to the proof-of-concept was posted. There I went.

Me to:grinning:

1 Like

Because discussions in the lounge are intended as deep explorations on topics and therefore will hold especially important educational value. Since we donā€™t use categories on this site, tags become the cornerstone of a future effective search mechanism.

When I have time, I usually add tags to ER topics. I know that I will not have the technical knowledge to properly tag advanced discussions on techniques and methods. So I feel the topic starter has the responsibility to insure at least minimal tagging

1 Like

Same here

1 Like

Your repost on LinkedIn. Thanks!

2 Likes

Glad you decided to join. Help spread the word. Please see: Please share

Iā€™m naturally attracted toward nice forums and repelled by bad ones :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Letā€™s hope this gravitation / magnetism effect will apply to others as well.

I went to the ā€˜newā€™ Salesforce FileMaker Community sometime after the switch, had a bad experience, lost everything I had posted over the years, learned some stuff about what happened, and then posted something like ā€œI wonder why FileMaker didnā€™t look at Discourse.org if they were going to change the community platform? I discovered it while using community.asana.com and it is AWESOMEā€. Well, Cecile saw that post, told me she just went ahead and created it to see what it was like andā€¦ the rest is history. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Me too ā€“ link someone posted in main FMI forum.

2 Likes

At a recent Meetup. Once I heard it was a discourse forum, I was in.

6 Likes

Hi @rivet !

I found this community via Clarisā€™s official FileMaker Community. They butchered their community forum with the latest update and several members posted links to this community, so I thought Iā€™d check it out.

7 Likes

I was super engaged on the old FMI Community site. During the transition in April, activity was pretty light, so I started looking around at other forums. Iā€™m already on Discourse for Appleā€™s Swift developer forum and prefer that UI/UX. When @Cecile mentioned creating something based on Discourse, I made a mental note of it and decided Iā€™d give the FMI Community 6 months to get their act together. Sadly, we canā€™t delete posts, thereā€™e no RSS, and I still canā€™t edit any of my old ā€˜documentsā€™. Iā€™m kinda over it at this point, and basically transitioning away from the FMI Community. Which makes me sad. Iā€™ve been there since TechNet was a thing. I see myself participating here (and Slack) more, going forward.

On a sidenote, I would argue Appleā€™s Swift forum carries at least as much activity than the FMI Community, so Iā€™ve never understood the ā€œDiscourse doesnā€™t scaleā€ argument from FMI.

6 Likes

@bhamm, thanks for the swift forum link!

1 Like

Disapointed in Clarisā€™s official FileMaker Community remake. Stumbled upon a link to this forum.

Sure I heard about via the FDS Forum. I also was aware of @Cecileā€™s attempt to have Claris fix the all screwed up SalesForce forum.
It was @Markus who persuaded me the most.
Finding @Otmar already here, I used peer pressure to have @Siplus and @Fred to join also to make the Swiss Gang complete :sunglasses:

6 Likes