My journey on the M1

The problem appears to be that FileMaker Go is not designed for this type of processing.

I’ve successfully run the test by escaping the new record loop script after a few records on both the M1 Mac and the iPad Pro but trying to use the 500,000 record limit is beyond its capability. I’ve carried out the last test, allowed the MacBook system error to occur, allowed it to restart and stopped the corresponding iPad test, which had managed 28k records in that time (I’m not timing this accurately, somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes).

Please draw your own conclusions.

Thanks a lot Andy for you efforts, a tad disapointing, we'll have to wait for M1 compiled version then

@Vincent_L I’m not so sure. This is failing on the iPad as well, which FMG is designed for.

I think this is more of a FMG issue than an M1 issue.

1 Like

That's a bug Claris should be aware of, it can be slow, but shouldn't crash

1 Like

This could be a new thread like ‘Best practise for FMG solution design’.
Can we run scripts designed for FMP equally on FMG or does it require adaptation beyond eliminating script steps not supported by FMG?

2 Likes

I’m going to report this on the community website. I have gradually been reducing the number of records being created and even reducing the number to 100, results in the iPad Pro not completing the routine (I’ve left it for about 20 minutes) and will cause the system error and generate a full restart of the M1 MacBook Pro.

10 records works on both platforms. I’m not spending any more time on this trying to work out where, between 10 and a 100, it is failing.

iPad problem reported at Claris Community (English)

5 Likes

Thanks

Do you see a crash report written from macOS?

It’s attached to one of my posts from yesterday Christian.

no function names :frowning:

see

1 Like

The only Windows laptop we have here to test is an HP EliteBook 840 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD and Intel Core i5-4300u 1.9GHz 2.5Ghz running FileMaker Pro 19 took 11 minutes 48 seconds to run the test file. An unfair test due to the age and specification of this 5th generation EliteBook (they are now up to the 11th gen), but the M1 MacBook pro was over 6 times faster and had an 84% reduction in time to complete the task. It would be great to see the result of a well specified PC desktop and laptop/portable workstation.

1 Like

Another nice touch, which I’m sure the Intel Macs could do, but now having widescreen I can use Picture in Picture and Picture and Picture by Picture sharing the screen at the same time with input from the MacBook Pro and the HP laptop.

1 Like

Sounds like a mirror-maze :crazy_face:

Gigabyte Brix 2016 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 7700 32GB Ram 500GB NVMe SSD WinPro 10 07:09min FM19

can't believe it is that slow, I build runtimes and do testing (FM16 x32 and FM17 lately) and it definitly doesn't feel slow when doing tests with PDF generation, data im- and exports and other stuff which could be subject to cross platform issues. Hmm, time for a reinstall maybe

Just a side note to this subject.

AWS engineer puts Windows 10 on Arm on Apple Mac M1 – and it thrashes Surface Pro X | ZDNet

Would be great if Apple comes up with a M1 server-grade machine. It‘s been a long time since Apple issued a server model.

True. I have seen such a server that wasn't used anymore because OS X was not supported anymore. The design was wonderful. Things is Apple does not seem to be interested in Servers anymore: just look at the server app :unamused:.

1 Like

:+1:

Yes, that is interesting. I spotted it yesterday and had a quick look at QMEU, but as the article mentions Microsoft only licenses Windows 10 for Arm for its own Surface Group and some hardware OEMs.

I also see that Docker are getting closer to supporting M1 Macs and news is popping up all over the place, even new projects like Patreon for Linux.