Using SMS with Twillo and a MicroService

Quick video showing using Twillo with FileMaker. Video uses sparkjava framework which the previous video introduced.

3 Likes

hey fmpdude - why is it not possible to keep the videos here to be investigated whenever someone would love to explore?

THANKS for your efforts to invite to the MicroService universe!

Please hook up the video, I am getting ready to implement Twillo. PLEASEEEEEE

I agree with others. Any content is useful only if it exists. I’ve many times found answers to my questions from old posts. Why not host those videos in youtube or some other service so that it would not require you to use your dropbox storage?

The video is back, but it's very high level.

If you're going to implement Twillo in a micro-service, you'd be better off watching the first two videos I have here and then take the code from Twillo site and create a new GET method.

The Twillo free code is quite good.

I can help you if you post your code.

Happy Coding! :slight_smile:

Why not on YouTube?

Answer: Google. (No way.)

1 Like

So you dont want worlds largest search engine to index your content so it would reach more people :wink:

1 Like

Right. Do not want. :slight_smile:

Highly recommended read: Non-fiction book, Future Crime by Marc Goodman.

You bet, I re-posted it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here's the latest maven dependency for Twillo you add to your pom.xml:

<dependency>
  <groupId>com.twilio.sdk</groupId>
  <artifactId>twilio</artifactId>
  <version>7.50.0</version>
</dependency>

Then, see the example code, here: The Twilio Java Helper Library - Twilio

(I also just added this extra info to the video itself.)

Let me know if you have questions, OK?

Happy Coding! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I should add, for those who don't quite get Maven yet is that it's a standard plug-in for Java IDEs and can also be run from the command line if installed directly in the file system.

I see two huge benefits from using a Maven project:

1. Using the directory structure that Maven imposes ("src\main\java" as one example), you get all the life-cycle builds automatically.

2. When you add a dependency like Twillo above, your IDE goes out (the Maven plug-in, that is) and automatically downloads that dependency (library) into your project. If that dependency has related dependencies, Maven will download those too. (Transitive dependencies) So, configuration is a breeze.

Adding the single AWS Maven dependency for example, you'll get tons of libraries imported.

Maven is cool. You just set up your project as a "maven project", like the intro micro-service videos use and you're on your way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

just curious - why not just use Insert from URL to send messages?

Set Variable [ $to; Value: "+13127788787" ]
Set Variable [ $from; Value: $myoutboundnumber ]
Set Variable [ $body; Value: "my first message from Twilio" ]

Set Variable [ $url; Value: "https://api.twilio.com/2010-04-01/Accounts/" & AcctSID & "/Messages" ]
Set Variable [ $curl; "
-H POST
-u \"" & AcctSID & ":" & AuthToken & "\"
-d \"Body=" & $body & "\"
-d \"To=" & $to & "\"
-d \"From=" & $from & "\"
"
]

Insert from URL [Select; With dialog:Off; Target:$result; $url; Verify SSL Certificates; cURL options:$curl ]
2 Likes

From FileMaker, calling the micro-service method only takes one INSERT FROM URL, so there is less code for one reason. None of all that crazy, error-prone, multi-line escaping required. Using FMP and a service approach, I never have needed to escape anything.

Another reason would be that so other apps (not just FMP) can use same code.

The micro-service is cross-platform, operating system agnostic. Lots of reasons. FileMaker can use Twillo with my approach, but FileMaker is not required. Instead, FileMaker is just another possible service software client.

Due to privacy concerns, I would never use Twillo anyway. It was just an example I posted a while back to answer someone's question on the FMI forum.

Thanks for your posting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. A great video. If it is possible, could you please explain why you would never use Twilio?

Glad you liked the video! :slight_smile:

Privacy. Twillio stores all your messages.

One of the scariest things you can ever do is to read many companies' "Terms of Service".

2 Likes