Logo Blindness

Well even I can see that the Solv logo is an abstract of a child reading a book in an environment that is safe ( mostly enclosed ) but with room for them to learn, grow and explore (the open bit). :wink:

Thank you Malcolm. Anything to help see otherwise than what most reviews reveal, which is Pac Man.

Claris's New Identity - video at YouTube, Nov 2019
:woozy_face:

Likely the same reason other companies in a similar situation did it: to break the perception that the company offers only one product or suite of products.

1 Like

Ouch, I wonder if SOLV knows that Claris logo looks like theirs. ?

In french it is called ā€˜rhabiller late girafeā€™

Ahum, do you have this because je ne comprends pas ā€˜rhabiller late girafeā€™ ?!?

Oh, had typo. It is la girafe, of course

Oh 'rhabiller la girafe". I don't know that expression, maybe it's from France, Il live in QuƩbec, Canada.

@Cecile @Bobino does that ring you a bell ?

It means that you put a new dress on it but underneath it is still the same thing.

P.S. I learned that in northern France.

Like 'lipstick on a pig' here in the UK.

1 Like

Isn't that 'de la confiture pour les cochons' in French?

@FMUSER01 @Torsten

Based on what I know now, the rebranding makes total sense:

• new CEO & upper management: rebranding makes a clear statement to expect some change coming ahead, not just to people outside the organization, but also for Claris employees.
  • new product (Claris Connect): connect can be a standalone product. Claris is not as loud as I would like about this, but having it wear the FileMaker brand would have been a limitation.
  • other changes: Cloud has been revamped to make sure the customer would not get in contact with amazon's branding, the certification process is undergoing review, the FDS subscription is called to change, a beta was released for running FMS on CentOS, Android is on the roadmap, the roadmap also talks about making edits & customization via the browser, we are getting closer to versioning, ... I may be forgetting some other stuff, but you get the idea.

When the rebrand was introduced last year at devcon, I had my doubts about it and felt like the money could have been spent elsewhere. Now, I completely agree that with everything they did and are doing, not rebranding would mean it would lose some of its impact and reach.

I do not feel like they did it because the brand was weak or had a poor reputation. I also do not feel like we are getting the same offering in a new packaging. It goes much further than that.

This is my opinion. I respect and understand that others may view things differently. I wanted to voice my own perspective on this. I am not attempting to spark a discussion on this topic (a different topic by the way than the one introduced by @Malcolm). Please make sure any replies bring something new & constructive to our discussions.

Fair enough, @Bobino. At the end of the day, they own it and they can do whatever they want.
My personal thought is that rebranding the company makes sense, replacing the FM product logo does not.

Please help making sure that posters are not driven off by strange hints to legal implications.
We are not working towards the leader, or am I wrong here?

1 Like

Donā€™t know that expression mais je pense que
Ā« Changer 4 trente sous pour une piastre Ā» would work here?
(Changing 4 quarters for a dollar)

1 Like

That solv logo is disturbing. Way way too similar. Makes one wonder who got it from Fiverr...!

1 Like

To add to what @Bobino said, the name change was because they were going back to a multi-product company. So having the company name and a product name be the same, while also having other products just would be massively confusing. See examples below.

FileMaker, Inc
FileMaker ( Server, Pro, Go, WebDirect )
FileMaker Connect ( keep in mind this is an entirely separate product, and if you already have FileMaker, you can get a discount here )
FileMaker NextGen ( this looks to be a future product, not to be confused with FileMaker Next - the next version of FileMaker Pro/Server/Go/WebDirect )
FileMaker Cloud

When you use the word FileMaker, what exactly would you be talking about. LOL

Claris International
Claris FileMaker ( Server, Pro, Go, WebDirect, Cloud )
Claris Connect
Claris NextGen
Claris Core ( the driving engine behind all of it )

I would be talking about making files :grinning:

1 Like

You are doing overtime :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I seem to be a lonely voice here, but I never liked the old logo or the FileMaker name, whilst I love the product. Neither the old logo nor the name gave any indication as to what the product does. Rather they imply something that the product does not do, or at least does not do in the main.

I don't mind the new logo, in fact I quite like it, more importantly though I am happy to see a logo that does not look like it is for a file explorer app with a name that seems to imply the same. The Claris prefix is nice, I'd like to see the FileMaker name go away, but in practice it is probably too late for such a widely used platform.

1 Like

Yeah the new Claris logo is fine. My question is why use the company logo as a product icon? It seems a bit peculiar for a multi-product company.

3 Likes