Microsoft Has Broken Windows Again - No Event Viewer/No Dynamic FMS 18 Server Logs

All Zabbix does is call a system script that kicks it for you. You could actually do the same thing at the OS level. Have something check that service, and kick it when it’s not moving.

Agreed, we use system scripts quite a lot, albeit, often called by FileMaker Server rather than the OS. However, that isn’t much use if the FMSE has fallen over again. We’re going to upgrade to FMS v18 as soon as we’ve migrated the last clients from FMP v15 (still some outstanding MDI/SDI issues).

However, using templates rather than a bunch of independent OS scripts is attractive.

See the blog post I did just a few days ago: Monitoring & Auto-Healing FileMaker Server with Zabbix

We’re tracking about 150 metrics for any FMS (Windows, macOS and FM Cloud) plus we have it auto-heal itself. That’s the stuff we’ll be showing at Devcon.

3 Likes

Same here :slight_smile:
will you be at DevCon?

Hi Fabrice

Unfortunately not, as much as I would love to be there. I have some burning issues regarding licensing I need to go through with FileMaker, although our UK representatives are very attentive, sometimes we can’t get to all the ears we hope will listen to us. Current licensing is significantly restricting our growth (and sales of FileMaker licenses) at the moment.

Anyway, the US timezone is too restrictive for us with our Asian/Eastern client base and, although we can provide good support from Europe and East, travelling west and a minimum of being 5 hours behind currently doesn’t work.

Maybe one day!

Oldtimers,

I beat you all :wink:. My first computer was a Sol Computer, CP/M and a whopping 48 K memory ! I used the BSD C compiler, no debugger since there were not enough memory. I wrote software for the first portable - I mean portable - computer, the Epson PX-8. Mass storage was a tiny cassette, not as fast as an SSD !

I then developed on MS-DOS, use Windows up to 3.x, and developed for OS/2 and Windows NT 4+.

And somewhere by the end of the 80’s I worked on Mac computers, like the Macintosh.

Witnessing the evolution of PCs was quite a thrill.

3 Likes