OAuth

Thanks @taylorsharpe!

I also use Amazon's SES using JavaMail. JavaMail is a library, not a server. It mainly replaces the front-end email client but not the email server itself.

I've never used SendGrid, but would like to try it.

At the moment I have 2 approaches:

1. Where possible direct SMTP via a local smtp-server
  2. MS_Graph-api with and AzureAD for Office365/exchange

#1 is the eassiest and the fastest
#2 The graph-api works v ery well, but attachments are a bit slow due to FMP not working very well with large variables.

But in general, I'm happy with it, both methods work good and are reliable

2 Likes

Amazon SES is relatively painless and inexpensive. It's also one of the few email services that will still work with FileMaker's very out of date (read: nearly obsolete) SMTP email interface.

Just got another client setup with SMTP on 365 using 2FA + App Password. Works perfectly. Again, confirmed there will be NO deprecation of this approach! This approach is not "basic authentication" which is deprecated.

Also tested and got working Amazon (SMTP) SES ("Simple Email Service") email.

The only delay getting SES to production status is waiting (after requesting it) to get out of the initial SES "sandbox". But, that delay was less than a day and then you can send up to 50,000 emails per day and up to 14 emails per second (that is just the initial limit and can be increased).

Hurray!!! No OAUTH2 here! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@OliverBarrett, (in jest) it almost seems that if you say it enough, it will happen. I still question why ‘SMTP Auth will also be disabled if it is not being used’ keeps being mentioned though:

I’m far from saying you’re wrong, this is just a balancing view as nothing is certain for sure.

If SMTP Auth is here to stay, then almost certainly new integrations will find that it is disabled by default and will have to enable it for this to work per the example posted earlier above.

Kind regards
Andy

In Microsoft's own document, they said they exclude SMTP AUTH from deprecation. I have not tested their statement (though I do set SMTP AUTH = "true" in code). However, in my conversations with MS over and over, they confirmed that 2FA + app password is also safe from deprecation. I am using this and have tested this.

It's far easier, though, considering the hoops MS is putting in place to just use another email provider, assuming that works for a client.

If you have a 365 business account, you might want to try to set up 2FA + app password. There are several configuration problems that can occur and, in my case, required sending a support request to MS.

For example:

1. Each email account must be a FULL email account, not a "shared Outlook email account". This MS restriction means that the email account must belong to a fully-licensed ($12.50+/month) user.

2. Initially on the 365 business setups I've seen, "App Password" isn't shown in the Add Authentication Method drop down, requiring a quick help request on the MS site. Easily fixed by opening a support ticket on the MS 365 site (office.com).

3. Access management for Azure resources should be set to NO. For me, this was set to NO initially, but for another client it was set to YES. It's up to the client if they want to set this to NO, but a YES value prevents things from working.

4. Setting up 2FA is straightforward and does not require any extra authentication during sending an email.

But there could be other things also so it's difficult to predict all the settings that might need to be changed. Fortunately, the MS support on the site is excellent though some of the MS support people didn't understand that 2FA + app password was not Basic Authentication.

I'll be glad to help if I can. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would anyone else like to see a more detailed explanation from Oliver about these options?

Tell us which method you'd like to know more about.

• SMTP + 2FA
  • SES

0 voters