Poll: do you prefer coding on Windows or MacOS?

the command/control mapping is not a problem. that's pretty intuitive. The Alt-key combinations are what I'm missing.

e.g. Alt, F, M, C (pressed sequentially not simultaneously) will open Custom Functions. Alt, F, M, T opens security, Alt, T, D turns on the debugger, and so on.

It's getting even better on macOS!
You can define your own shortcuts like e.g. cmd-option-control-D to open the Data-Viewer. Just go to Preferences/Keyboard/App-Shortcuts and add the exact name of the menu command and chose a keyboard shortcut that meets your requirements.

1 Like

Around 2014 Matt Petrowsky even did a sample file to take things a bit further. It is not required and may need to be updated for newer versions of FMPro, but here is a link to it: Enhanced Macintosh Keyboard Shortcuts - Developer Tools - FileMaker Coding Standards

2 Likes

I save all of my shortcuts in that file, so I can easily restore them if something gets blown up. It's saved my sanity a dozen times.

1 Like

I tried it but just can't get it to work with FMP17 oder 18. It just works for me with FMP16. Do you know, where the plist for FMP17+18 is stored?

Made it over 200! Congrats

I'll try to pull it up today. I don't think I've tried it in a while, because it just seems to work for me with 17 - 19. It may be that the "pro" preference file is being used instead of "advanced".

Now that I've got the hang of creating keyboard shortcuts, the Mac is looking better and better! Now I need to break many of my Windows habits, e.g. command+arrow for beginning or end of line, etc.

I don't have time today to go mucking around in how MP did his tricks with that file. Looks interesting, tho!

1 Like

Parts of it, yes; I miss the type-ahead features in other expression editors, but I like the layout better in the CF Window.

• Command-left|right arrow is good on Macs on beginning or end of line.
  • Option-left|right arrow is beginning or end of the next word.
  • up arrow, go up a line until you hit the first line, then it takes you to the beginning of the line.
  • down arrow, go down a line until you hit the last line, then it takes to you the end of the line.
  • When you are operating in single line text inputs, the up/down arrows are extremely convenient shortcuts to get to the beginning or end of the line.
1 Like

Agreed!

I just have about 1,000 years of Windows muscle-memory to overcome!

1 Like

I have been working with IBM PCs and clones since the beginning. No matter why I actually work with Windows 10. But, I also worked started working with Mac when the Macinstosh was current. I think that was the times of OS 8. I used Word, Excel and a Dream, a drawing application for illustrations. That one bombed a lot of time, but since I was doing CMD+S all the time, that was not an issue.

Years later I also worked on occasion on a Mac Book Pro. Mac's tracpads are really good, but I couldn't get used to them, to may years with a mouse.

A few years ago I got a contract for FileMaker development and the customer was a Mac shop. The users working on iMac, I had to work on iMac 27" retina 2015. The keyboard was a corded Magic Keyboard, and the mouse was a Magic Mouse. Wow, this mouse is the best in the world. Add to that that you don't need to reboot a Mac everyday, that was extraordinary !

My own equipment is mad of a Windows laptop - due for a change - a Windows Tower and a Mac mini late 2014 with only 8 G memory. I know 8 G is not large, but even a refurbished Mac mini is expensive. My old laptop is a Dell bought in Sept 2012, and can't have more than 8 G memory. I am still trying to find a good replacement. The Microsoft Surface Laptop and Surface Book are pretty decent computers, but boy they cost more than Mackooks - true they have a touch screen.

I work most of the time on Windows, but can also work on MacOS. I love both of them. When I see prices for refurbished Macbook Pro, I wonder if I should buy one and use Parallel to run Windows. Will I be able to use a Macbook Pro for 8 years as I do with my Dell laptop ?

one of the servers here is a MacMini from 2010, the first generation of the 'uni-body'. Runs on macOS 10.13.x with FMS 18.04

The test machine here is a MacBook Air 2013, capable to run macOS 10.15 (the 2012 model would run catalina as well)

I still have a FMS 14 Server running, its on a 2008 Mini, runs smooth

Another Mini is running macOS 10.6.x, kept that for working on solutions under FM6 - although that one is no longer used - I got VM's with 10.6 Server for that purpose

Yes, a Mac can last that long. If a current model of Apple will last that long... no idea )-:

I do no longer trust that much in Apple

Besides of that, the text-handling under macOS is imho much better, consistent, the methods of window management dito (imho). Mac's here are fast ('worker' machines are 6 and 8 cores, i7 and i9) - and stable.
Apple has imho a better handling with updates... I got VM's for specific usage, maybe some special set-up, etc. I'm using those not very often - but if a customer has a problem, I need that vm - and almost every time, I'm blocked because that thing runs an update, can take really much time.. On the Apple side, I can select 'ask again tomorrow'

1 Like

I must admit, this is probably the 2nd most important benefit from us streaming FileMaker from RemoteApp/Citrix servers. As long as the version of FileMaker will run on Windows, then it can be run on any version of macOS and all updates are carried out centrally, including plug-ins. There are of course drawbacks to this approach, but compatibility isn't one of them.

By the way, welcome to the soup :grinning:

1 Like

One of my favourites, ctrl up or down arrow, moves the script line.

I wish there was a utility that would watch what I do with the mouse and suggest the keyboard shortcut to accomplish it, with the ability to limit the suggestions to certain areas eg the scripting workspace to a daily limit of unique new shortcuts eg Teach me ...1... new shortcut per ...48h... period
And to specify how much nagging to do (eg every time I could have used it, once per hour, once per period)

I never got to learn much of them and now that I have started to work on mac, I am clueless!

There are helpful, and there are others shown in the help. Also, on a mac is really easy to create additional shortcuts. FileMaker Pro 18 Advanced Help

I use a Mac, but always have Parallels running a Win 10 instance, and a previous version of MacOS running, so I can check compatibility across platforms when developing. Just my two cents!

5 Likes

I have in Typinator this set:

{{--use $ for Shift Key}}
{{--use ^ for Control Key}}
{{--use ~ for Option Key}}
{{--use @ for Command Key}}

defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Security\U2026' '^s'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Value Lists\U2026' '^w'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Layouts\U2026' '^l'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'External\ Data Sources\U2026' '^q'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Containers\U2026' '^c'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Custom\ Functions\U2026' '^f'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Custom\ Menus\U2026' '^m'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Themes\U2026' '^d'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Data Viewer' '^v'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'File Options\U2026' '^o'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Create New\U2026' '^n'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Import Records' '^i'{return}{delay:0.1}
defaults write com.filemaker.client.pro12 NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add 'Actual Size' '@0'{return}{delay:0.1}

That way for me it’s much faster to create the shortcuts. If something is broken, I only go to the Terminal and type my expansion shortcut write#fmkey and everything’s set!

com.filemaker.client.pro12 works for both FM Versions I have installed: FMPA18 and FMP19.

And to answer also the question for the coding platform preference: I can’t imagine to work most of the time in Windows. On my Mac I have so many things customized e.g. with AppleScript. (Off Topic:) Not to forget MailMate as the fastest and most powerfull mail client app that I know. Doesn’t exist on Windows.

But you need Windows too for testing if databases are created for the use in both worlds. Fonts render differently on Mac and on Windows. And therefore you have to check the layouts if every field label is fully visible and so on.