What do you want to see happening?

Yes, almost finished my vacations … starting to code again, but – I am a lazy one :slight_smile:
Louis

I actually turned off email notifications. On Mac, Safari notifies me when a new post arrives. Besides, I am logging in almost every day.

2 Likes

We’re two days shy from the 20th of July.

Shall I prepare an invite for an AGM?
Do we want to wait out one more month (someone else-Torsten picked up the tab last month-must volunteer for one month hosting ) so we build more membership?

How much is a months subscription ?

100 USD

@Malcolm have you had the chance to look into other affordable hosting plans that would cover our views and emails ratios?

Malcom/Cecile – I’m sorry I haven’t completely been following these threads, but on July 1 you posted “my hosting plan currently allows a volume of emails up to 750 per HOUR on filemakers.community.
That should definitely cover our needs!”.

Are you needing a server to host the entire forum on, or only an existing email host to send posts through, or …?

MFSC is currently hosted on Discourse.org. I initially set it up as a 14 day trial as proof of concept. Discourse extended our trial for 3 weeks, the time we decide whether we were going to keep this community alive.
Near the end of the trial extension we decided to pay for 1 month hosting to give us time to set up the community formally.
I was to call for an AGM around the 20th to make decisions.
Among the decisions that need to be taken names, hosting provider/formulas, legal format etc.

I gave my personal hosting plan with bluehost as a reference in our provider exploration discussion.

MFSC is currently hosted on Discourse.org. I initially set it up as a 14 day trial as proof of concept. Discourse extended our trial for 3 weeks, the time we decide whether we were going to keep this community alive.

Ah, got it. So you are not looking for a host for the forum, but rather we need to find a way to pay the $100/mth to Discourse.

In the early days, low traffic, we can get away with a host such as yours. As soon as the volume of email traffic exceeds your host limits the discourse hosting plans become the best available.

malcolm

with a forum-sw like discourse, IMHO email notification is not so important. ‘Agenda’ (among others) sends mails once a week or so. This should reduce traffic

I agree with this, in fact I have just turned off the emails as they were starting to annoy me. I think users should be encouraged to use the discourse app and notifications it provides.

1 Like

There are a lot of people that only subscribe, and reply, via email. Way more than one might think.

Yup, I’m one of those who just never thinks to visit a website unless there’s something specific I’m looking for. I always subscribe to alerts and prefer those that contain the full message so that I don’t need to go to the site unless I want to respond or view the entire thread.

I have a number of issues with the official FMP forum, but among them is that it won’t send me emails for every post (only for the original post, not replies), and worse it doesn’t provide the ability to subscribe via RSS as the old site did (emails can be overwhleming even when they get filtered to their own mailbox).

Does email let you vote on topics that contain polls?

Does email let you vote on topics that contain polls?

Probably not, but I imagine the post itself would say something like "here's a poll"... in which case I would click the link in the email, arrive in the forum, and make my vote.

1 Like

Installed the Discourse app recently. It’s a great tool worth a try.

thanks for this posting - installed the app on iPad, seemless

Although not sure, if I still use the browser or the app’…

Hia. I have been mia for the last couple of weeks. Health issues, work to do, renovations and after more than 2 y single… a special someone… who happens to be a FM developer lol; @AndyHibbs I guess I’ll need pointers to keep my sanity !

Anyhow, I plan on getting busy this Friday with MFSC matters, such as organizing AGM. In the mean time, I’m covering hosting for the month of August.

Lovely to have you back Cecile.

Mmmm, advice. Well, one piece I can give you is don’t attend a FileMaker developer meeting together and ‘encourage’ the ‘techinical’ pillow talk - Don Collier, if you are visiting here after our conversation this morning, I believe you were a kindly contributor, LOL.

So, avoid double entendres (forgive the Franglais), particularly providing low hanging fruit about ‘repeating variables’, ‘exiting loops’, ‘recursive custom functions’ as they will be taken totally out of context(!).

We’ve found a relationship(again !) of working to impossible deadlines, ridiculous working hours (17 yesterday) and many expletives as ‘it should have just worked’ can be offset by customers who become very good friends, an appreciation of good alcohol (grain or grape) and running away together to various bolt holes works for us. Also an appreciation of each other’s particular skill set. To summarise, work hard and play hard.

All the best, good luck and let me know if next month needs funding.