Loosing modifications

Absolutely, it is still possible with FMP Pro to share a file. It is still deprecated, but no yet removed.

I've seen other people doing this as well especially with Dropbox synch but when beta testing my app with some key users we ran into problems described above. All these problems were gone after shifting the app folder to a none-synched directory. Thus for the moment I stay with that directive because with several hundred users and IT departments enforcing home directories becoming synched to OneDrive I would get drowned the second I loosen it :scream:

and will hopefully stay.. makes development of local iPad/iPhone FmGo-Apps much easier - if not essential
(Work on the Mac on a local app, test that via sharing on the iPad, circle through alterations, move that file every now and then to the iPad for further testing...)

I did use Dropbox for this many years ago and mostly it worked OK, but do remember a situation when I ended up with 2 versions of the file as a result of a sync, which didn’t result in data loss but I wouldn’t have wanted the inexperienced to have to deal with it.

However, iCloud for the last few years has been OK. The files that are maintained on the Mac are downloaded from within FileMaker Go and those maintained in FM Go are selected and using ‘Send To’ the appropriate FileMaker iCloud folder. I can usually grab the MacBook, phone or iPad and be pretty sure I have any data I need when out.

Again, to emphasise, I would not recommend this to any of our clients.

I use my bread and butter FileMaker solution in the Dropbox Folder for years now. No problems whatsoever! The only time I got duplicates is, when I forgot to close my app before I left the house. And that was years ago.
In order to be on the safe side I always check the sync status in the dropbox menu, before I open my solution on the second machine. Therefore I always know, wether the sync was successful or not.
What I do not trust is iCloud, because the sync is rather slow and you don't have any detailed information about whether or when the last sync has been executed.

1 Like

dropbox is rocksolid if sync granted // my experience
iCloud unreliable - lost contacts and worse key chain entries