macOS 10.15 catalina

Having been using Catalina for over a week now, I’ve just received the following when quitting FileMaker (sorry, don’t know which one as I had various versions open, but believe it could have been v16 Advanced quitting, but could also have been v18 launching.

Keystrokes%20Catalina

Does anyone know what this actually means? ‘Keystrokes’ doesn’t provide any hits when searching on the Apple support site and there are many postings found by Google asking the same question.

Information is scarce about this.

One way to go about this is to deny the access in the first place, see if anything fails as the app is being used. If you start seeing odd behaviours, grant the access and see if things now work or not, if so, you know that receiving keystrokes from other applications is playing a part in this, if not you could deny it again.

Also, have you asked the question to Claris employees?

It could be something FileMaker have been relying on in the past, or it could be there is a new feature in the new OS, that applications have ‘on’ by default unless they opt out of it (which would require Claris to release a v release to address it or something like that).

Let us know if you figure it out…

Information is scarce about this.

One way to go about this is to deny the access in the first place, see if anything fails as the app is being used. If you start seeing odd behaviours, grant the access and see if things now work or not, if so, you know that receiving keystrokes from other applications is playing a part in this, if not you could deny it again.

Also, have you asked the question to Claris employees?

It could be something FileMaker have been relying on in the past, or it could be there is a new feature in the new OS, that applications have ‘on’ by default unless they opt out of it (which would require Claris to release a v release to address it or something like that).

Let us know if you figure it out…

Receiving keystrokes could also mean devices that use software to emulate a keyboard. Scanners, etc, are the first thing that pop in my head.

Also, text expanders.

1 Like

Thanks.

What makes my blood boil, is that this is all in the name of security. Here I am, nearly 35 years of IT background as I’m asking the question because I can’t find an answer on Apple’s website or within a Google search. I can find other people asking the same question.

So what hope does the average user stand? Is this adding security, or is this just running in fear of the legal system again?

Symptomatic of the whole IT industry, assumption of too much knowledge and no clear explanation of messages being displayed.

Security by obscurity? :crazy_face:

It’s annoying. Went through the same thing with Windows Vista. lol

2 days ago, I had to adjust some label-layouts for a customer who migrated to catalina…

• Teamviewer needs more access-rights, ‘screen sharing’, otherwise screen is left grey
  • filemaker 18.02 crashes when leaving layout mode
  • v18.03 solves that

then, found a posting on salesforce by accident (I could not find a thread, therefore I was browsing through several pages…) where a FMI Staff member explained that only 18.03 is compatible with catalina and that v17 was introduced before catalina so there is no patch (yes, that v17 is from the ancient times, min. 200 days old…)

Yesterday, a Catalina Update macOS 10.15.1 was released. In this early stage of Catalina, every update might contain several important bug fixes.

1 Like

Claris not updating prior versions is a known thing. It shouldn’t be a surprise at this point.

1 Like

I do not agree - to that fact, not to Your statement (-:

1 Like

Feature Request:
Update/Bug Fixes/Maintenance for last 2 FM Releases
https://community.filemaker.com/en/s/idea/0870H000000fyYmQAI/detail

3 Likes

that’s it! We got new fm version somewhere in may, new macOS versions somewhere in october - we can not follow every one of those…

Well, you can not agree with my 2nd statement...not the first, that is a known fact.

No product updates has been this way since before I started working with FileMaker in 2007.
https://www.filemaker.com/support/product-availability.html

Looks like Catalina is a real boon in it’s current state: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/30/apple_security_patches_catalina_macos_ios/

When marketing dictates release cycles…

2 Likes

If you click on About This Mac then System Report, then under Software click on Legacy Software, this i thought gives you the software that won’t work in Catalina.

3 Likes

Welcome Sherab !

True you can learn this way what are the 32-bits applications.

Like most other SW vendors? What a concept! :wink:

1 Like

You can also download the free “Go64” program that will scan your Mac for 32-bit apps. Really good.

2 Likes

My FMA FileMaker Pro Advanced 18.0.1.108 is the actual version. Does this mean that in Mojave (my actual macOS) there will be no more updates?

Louis