Security in the internet

today, an ebook from fmi arrived

there are some things that need to be addressed…
https://community.filemaker.com/en/s/question/0D50H00007AGrZGSA1/ebook-from-filemaker

copy from the salesforce forum:
Today, an email arrived here ‘[ebook] Introduction to integration concepts’. Thank You very much!

Some questions:

• why do we need to enter so much personal info to get that ebook (name, company, country, email-addresses (without sending a link to that address…),)
  • why is the server address not from filemaker (https://storage.pardot.com) without any remarks? Internet is not a ‘nice’ world, one of the most important thing is ‘transparency’, known sources. I never heard anything about pardot.com
  • why can we not get that ebook directly as pdf, viewable in preview instead of the browser (I’m on iPad here)? I had to ‘share’ that web-document, sending it to my email-address

Thank You very much and kind regards

I simply ignore data-grabbing requests.

1 Like

then, You don’t get that eBook…

Choose your poison… :nauseated_face:

poisson sans boisson est poison…

Pardot is a special addon to Salesforce that manages customer life cycle (integrated sales) if i understood correctly.

I find it annoying too. If you weren’t logged in it would be reasonable. However, when you are logged in it should be able to direct you to the content without having to fill out the forms. I also have consider it a problem to be directed to download content from unknown sources. How are we meant to know that this is a safe source - or has the connection been hijacked?

4 Likes

I just an iCloud account and set up an email alias - all my spam goes there. Then remove the alias and set up another after a period of time.

1 Like

For the last 17 years, I’ve used a technique which consists in giving the provider a unique address to reach me: hydro@mydomain.com, git@my domain.com, tonyrobbins@mydomain.com, flaticon@mydomain.com, BankXyz@mydomain.com, visa@mydomain.com, etc.
It has several advantages: autofile in folders, knowing the source of spam (either because their security was breached, they used an unreliable contact list service (constant contact was often the provider of those I uncovered), an employee sold the infos to spammers, you can abandon an address without affecting your business.

The caveat is that to be practical, i was using a catch all which isn’t good practice and not supported in imap or by most email hosting providers such as Bluehost

3 Likes

I often use Gmail’s additional email address options a lot. Just adding +something to my email address. Then I can easily filter.

Examples ( fake addresses ):
josh+fmcommunity@gmail.com
josh+fmsoup@gmail.com
josh+fbanewsletter@gmail.com

3 Likes

I’ve also started adding clues to my passwords, hence if I receive emails claiming to know a password of mine, I’ll be able to trace it to a specific account.

1 Like

With the gmail +something, I don’t even have to create anything. It just works. I also learned recently that:
some.name@gmail.com = somename@gmail.com

1 Like

The downside of this is that spammers know to just remove the + and whatever comes after and can automate this to recover the root address and you loose traceability and they have your address.

Several years ago, bought a bunch of cool domains with the intention to create a cloud based email service and portable email addresses that would have all the great features of thunderbird, outlook, mail and gmail yet be user oriented easy friendly etc. Unfortunately I don’t have any skills in security or email technologies so I would not even be able to recruit pertinent resources and assess tech strategies so after a few years, I eventually let go of the most expensive domains such as z.directory, kom.land, zen.zone, 411.zone, 411.email, 456.solutions, zen.house, k.buzz, itl.ink, lil.ink, ool.ink, onl.ink, d-l.ink, bbl.ink, ttt.ink, alt.ink, ezl.ink, lll.ink, ppl.ink uth.ink, coo.kim, ili.kim, at1.place. I only kept 2ii.ca, 11i.ca, in1.place.

10+ years… never had it happen. You assume someone is looking at the address.

Not really. I was not aware of the + something option for gmail accounts. I did assume it was something recent and that eventually spammers would include that in their parsing algorithms

that’s been my strategy too.

1 Like

I actually felt the same way as you. But so far, nothing. lol

Spammers are lazy and everything is automated. Also, even if you don’t have a “gmail” in the domain part, because you have a custom domain, it’s even harder to know.

1 Like

Ah!? the +something works for ported emails?!

1 Like

unfortunately, not every service accepts emails with a ‘+’ as a valid email (I guess they need to update the regex they use to validate). For the ones who do, it is nice to use.